whats the best filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best filter is the one you are willing to maintain. They all work to one extent or another, but some are easier to maintain. My preference is for Aqua Clear hang on backs for their ease of maintenance, flexibility, and low long term cost. The cannister fan boys are sure to jump in with their recommendations.

I wouldn't classify myself as a "fan boy", but have been pleased with the RENA XP line as far as canisters go. Eheim and fluval are also great filters though. So are some HOB options from Aqua Clear, the new Fluval, and the magnums.

The best filter is the one that fits your individual tank, budget, wants, etc. the best. There are pros and cons that come along with any type.

I'm on the same boat as you. I am looking at an Eheim Ecco 2234 the have on Clarence for 109. I like the canister since it gives you a little more time in between cleanings just in case your buy.

The above suggestions are great for Freshwater, but for the saltie side, skip all of those and go natural filtration. Lots of live rock, a sump/refugium, protein skimmer, and a DSB (remote if you have the room).

First you have to choose what type. Internal, canister, hang on back, sump. Then how much you are willing to spend and how much space you have and what type of fish you have.

It's alright saying certain brands but until we know the above it's impossible to say.

For a 55 I run a large sponge and an Ehiem ECCO 2236 on one and a large sponge filter along with an OLD Fluval 303 on another. The ECCO is a breeze as far as upkeep goes. Canisters all pretty much work the same. I am not a fan of HOB although they have their place(tanks on the floor). I have heard good things about the RENA XP canisters and am thinking of getting one or two myself. Most HOB cartridges have carbon in it so I steer away from those. A canister is totally customizable. I like having a sponge filter as back up. There truly are far too many options with various pros and cons to each to outright say which is best. I think there are even some folk that think that an under gravel filter is they way to go(I wouldn't recommend them though). I think we need more info.

I have a wet/dry filter that works great and keeps my parameters consistent. The only maintenance I did on it was replace the filter pad.

Back
Top Bottom