when using 2 filters, placement of each intake and outtake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI, Setting up new fluval fx5, will keep current cascade 1000 as well. 100 gal-question on the placement of filters, intake and outtake for each? I have spray bar on cascade, with intake on on opposite end of it. I assume I should have intake on both ends not sure what to do on flow or if it even matters. Just want to get the best out of both filters. Any suggestions?:)

I have intakes at the two back corners, and my returns toward the center back, with spraybar facing from back to front on my 55 gallon.

Placing the outflow on opposite ends, aimed towards each other would create a mildly turbulent area in the middle, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Personally, I would place a filter intake on each end, about 1/4 to 1/3 from the outer edge. That would pull the water in from almost all areas of the tank. Then I would aim the outputs as I described. That would probably create all kinds of water movement in the whole tank.

Others people probably have other ideas, this is just mine.

I have my spray bars and intakes placed at opposite ends of the tank. This helps create optimal circulation.

For your situation, I would place the intakes in the corners with the FX5 return in one corner and the cascade spray bar in the middle of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom