Where can i buy aqurium glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking to DIY 250 gallon aquarium, don't know If I should go with acrylic or just glass.

Looked at online found no pricing and when I email I get no respond.

At 250 gallons using glass, it will be pretty thick depending on final dimensions. If more than 1/2" thick, glass can get pretty green, with the exception of iron free glass like Starfire, but it is extraordinarily expensive. Other than that, glass aquariums are easy to build. Acrylic is stronger and is clearer IMO, but scratches over time.

Your local glass store will be your best bet.

At 250 gallons using glass, it will be pretty thick depending on final dimensions. If more than 1/2" thick, glass can get pretty green, with the exception of iron free glass like Starfire, but it is extraordinarily expensive. Other than that, glass aquariums are easy to build. Acrylic is stronger and is clearer IMO, but scratches over time.

Your local glass store will be your best bet.

Oh wow I didn't know that, see i just got a house and I got this perfect place to build a L shape tank maybe over 250gal not sure yet and I'm in the beginning of my research. So what would you say for the thickness of the glass I should go with? 1/3? And ya I'm gonna go with the iron free since this would be my one and only tank after I move everything over from my 35gal tank which is getting to a point of being less space for my fishes.

I appreciate your input Greg.

The starting point should be how much are you willing to spend. low iron glass is extremely expensive. The height of the tank determines how thick the glass needs to be. An L shaped tank creates some problems in the build that a straight tank doesn't. So, have you considered two tanks placed in an L situation?

L shape I'd go with acrylic. Not sure if 1/2" would be thick enough so I'd go with 3/4". And if it does scratch you can buff it out, when u scratch glass you're screwed. And at 250 gallons and an L shape its gonna be a Real pain in the a$$ to move it, acrylic is half the weight.

Back
Top Bottom