Where do pet stores get their tanks from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking at getting a bunch of tank setups, probably about 10. Id like to get them at wholesale pricing. Instead of dealing with a pet store and their markup I was going to try to buy from who they buy from.

Any ideas / suggestions???

Central Garden and Pet is the mother company of Aqueon and so forth they would only sell to a shop with a business license, I have a license for another kind of company but they still would not sell directly to me. I've look through Craiglist as I continually see ads for mom and pop fish stores going out of business and selling all their tanks. The other place I've bought numerous tanks is through members in fish clubs, our club's website has a classified section with members downsizing and selling tanks for cheap. The last place is Petco with their dollar per gallon sale, which is where 8/10 of my 40 breeders came from.

Ads - Dry Goods

Around here, tanks are sold pretty much for cost, the reason being that if you have a tank you need to buy the other stuff that goes with it.

Thanks for the info. What I'm looking for may not even be possible. I was hoping to get the whole "package" including tank, stand, lights, filter, heater but not at retail price if I buy in bulk. Also, interested in new sets and not used. I have a bunch of neighbors, friends, and family that will throw me a few bucks if I get them everything they need, set it up, stock it etc. So, they will be paying for it and want new rather then someone else's used stuff.

What is my best bet? Just negotiate with a local store? I won't be buying 10-12 sets at the same time but over the course of the next few months.

I got all of my tanks via CL and local forums. Some of the pics are in this article. Cheap Tank Buying Guide - Aquarium Advice

+1 ^ The best thing you can do if you want it all, at far less than the LFS is going to sell it for, is to find someone that simply wants out of theirs.

Bide your time and you'll find a fantastic deal. Everything I have except for a Fluval 405, and a 55 gal has come off CL. And the 55 gal, I only bought because Petco was selling them for $1 / gl.

I would say look at the acrylic tank sales there would be the only place you may find a deal. At the same time you may not get as good deal as you would with glass tanks.

Back
Top Bottom