Where is the Starter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
My light bulb broke a few months ago and I only found a replacement for it yesterday. When I brought the bulb home and fitted it to the lighting unit... It still didn't work. At the time I thought it was the bulb, but then I realised it may be the starter. If this is the case, then where will the starter be? I can't upload photo's at the moment, but I have the 17l aqua box - if that helps :)

Well, I pulled the unit apart and got a few pictures of the inside. I'm not sure where to start, or what's what. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for anymore.

I should really ask... Why isn't my light bulb working - even though its brand new?

Attachments

• P9270001.jpg
    P9270001.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 136
  • P9270002.jpg
    P9270002.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 74
  • P9270003.jpg
    P9270003.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 62
Is this a metal halide fixture? If so, you don't have a starter. If you replaced the lamp and it still did not work it is most likely the ballast (all those parts in the picture). Check for any loose wires first but if they all seem good, it is most likely the ballast is bad. You may be able to find a replacement from the original manufacturer.

Metal Halide? Is that flourescent?

All the wires seem fine. Those were the first things I checked :D

The ballast is the big white thing in the photos, right?

Can you get a picture of the new bulb, as well as the socket that it sits in? Did you make sure that the new bulb was the same wattage as the old one? If the new bulb is a higher wattage then the starter may not be able to start it.

I came across it at my lfs, it is an exact replacement for my fish tank.

Attachments

• P9270603.jpg
    P9270603.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 82
  • P9270604.jpg
    P9270604.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 76
That is a fluorescent and no Metal Halide is not the same. The big white thing is part of the ballast but not all. It is actually a transformer. They build things a little different over on this side of the pond. Our ballasts are all one piece and enclosed as a unit. Contact the manufacturer and see if can provide a replacement. On another not, the pins on the base of the lamp in that picture look to be corroded. Are you getting a lot of moisture in the fixture?

Apparently, there is no website for me to contact the manufacturers, so I guess i'll just have to shop around for a suitable lamp - hopefully one that clips on to the tank lol

Thank you very much for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom