Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 359
Where to buy a 48" x 18" glass canopy?

I got a 90 gallon tank without center brace. It is used as a reptile tank by previous user. But I want to use for fish and I need a one piece of 48" x 18" glass canopy (glass top), I can't use 2 pieces of 23.5 " x 18" as it dones't have cetner brace to support the glass tops. Anyone know where I can find a 48" x 18" (acutal size should around 46.5" x 17") glass canopy?

If can't find it, then where can I find a center brace to put on the middle of the tank to support the 2 piceces of the 23.5" x 18"?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

gu2high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
jsoong's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 4,222
You won't find a long glass canopy like that .... for one, it would be too unwieldy & too easy to break.

You can build one yourself if you want. You can buy the plastic hinge, and have a glass shop cut 1/8" glass pieces to size. You just slide the glass pieces into the hinge & you have your canopy.

An Eg of a place that sells 48" hinge:
aquarium, fish tank, door, replacement hinge, clear and black.

A 48" glass top is too unwieldy, IMO. You might be better off making a center brace. You just get the glass shop to cut you a piece of 1/4" glass 2-3" wide & exactly the distance of your aquarium depth (front to back) minus 1/16". You silicone this piece at the center of your tank. <You might have to silicone a plastic shim at the center of this brace to bring it up to the level of your existing rim.> This is called a "Euro-brace" and is the standard way to make the center brace (and rim braces) in a DIY tank.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 359
thanks, jsoong. Yes, your idea is what I am going to do.
Use a 17" X 3" X 3/8" glass as a center brace. Then find a platic shim to put on top of it. After silicone them, I hope they will be strong enough to support not only glass tops but also to support the water pressure on the front and back panels.

Then, buy two stand glass tops.
gu2high is offline   Reply With Quote

canopy, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Duckweed" (Lemna Minor) and "Water Spangles" (Salvinia Minima) floating plants jackdaniel Archive 3 09-28-2009 10:16 AM
Any reason not to buy "feeder" fish and keep them? Dekz Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 10-14-2008 01:23 AM
Information on "Glass Cages" Aquariums? tropicalfish General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 15 01-30-2007 05:27 PM
Where to buy a "plant package?" Vmax911 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 11 10-03-2006 04:04 PM
suggestions on my "to buy" list bungle Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 24 05-19-2004 10:26 PM

» Photo Contest Winners

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.