Where to Buy Compact Flourescent Bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a Coral Life 12" 36W Aqualight (2x18W). This fixture comes with 50/50 Straight Pin Bulbs which I'd like to replace with Regular Bulbs (5000K-10000K). I've already checked my regular shopping places (including DrsFosterSmith, ThatPetPlace, BigAls, and Menards) and none of them carry the bulbs I'd need. Anyone have a suggestion for a reliable place to obtain these bulbs from?

I checked out Aquarium Advice's Sponsors and one does carry these bulbs. Premium Aquatics has a 7100K bulb by Jalli/Finnex. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this vendor or brand?

Thanks!

ahsupply

go to ahsupply.com
They only sell retro kits, and bulbs are around $15 for your size

Thankyou for replies, however neither of your recommendations appear to carry 18W daylight bulbs. AHSupply carries no 18W bulbs that I could find and HelloLights only has the 50/50 bulbs that came with the fixture.

I think 18W bulbs are the same as 20W, its really the ballast in your fixture that dictates the output. One of the above website has a statement like this.

or maybe its 55W and 65W CF bulbs I'm thinking of.

http://www.lightbulbdepot.com/product.asp?sub=15&dep=Long%20Twin%20Shape(LTT)&prod=26460A

Should be a 6500k 4-pin twin tube cf bulb @8.95+s&h.

Edit: you'll have to enter the product # 26460a in the search from my crappy link.

Thanks for the link Hoovercat. The bulb that I would need from there looks to be this one.

Couple more questions though.
1. The bulbs that are currently in the fixture are only 9" long while the one at the LightBulbDepot is 10.8" long. I've measured and I think that I could squeeze this bulb into the fixture, but I'm concerned that it would be too close to the wiring and plastic enclosure ends. Should I be concerned?
2. Has anyone ordered from LightBulbDepot, and how was the experience?

Thanks!

I've got a feeling you're not measuring accurately. The 10.8" will include pins and fixture. AFAIK, all the 36 watt cf's of this design are the same length. I haven't ordered from these guys because they have 2 locations in Memphis but if they screw you I'll burn their stores down (jk). The bulbs are Damar and I use them with no complaints. I checked their site and your bulbs will ship out of Springfield, MO so they have better chances with UPS not having to travel very far but it's totally your decision.

Yes, but the bulbs that I need are 18Watts, not 36Watts. Two 18Watt bulbs for a total of 36 Watts. I'm not entirely sure that these are quite as standardized, since they're harder to locate. I did measure the existing bulbs from the tips to the end of the base that they're plugged into. 9" is the absolute longest that these could possibly be measured as. The fixture is only 12" wide, so the new bulbs would only have about 1/2" on either side clearance. The current bulbs have about 1 1/2" clearance on either side.

I'll probably give them a try unless a better source presents itself. Premium Aquatics doesn't even list the length of their bulbs, so who knows how long they are not to mention being more expensive.

So sorry, I missed that in your first post. You want the #26451A bulbs which are a little more expensive. You are correct about the 9" length as well. I apologise for the incorrect info.

No problem... you're not the only one that missed that part of my post. Guess I need to use bright neon flashing letters next time. :lol: Thanks so much for the help.

Well no more assistance is needed with this for now. Thanks to everyone who helped out!

After chat last night I had some extra ideas on how to search for the bulbs I needed. By searching for "Power Compact" instead of "Compact Flourescent" I was able to locate some new possibilites.

InnovativeLights.Com has the 18 Watt Bulbs in 6700K and after checking with the vendor found out that they are the 9" I was looking for. They even have discounts at smaller volumes so I was able to get a price break by ordering four. Now I'll have two to put in the fixture and two spares for a year or so from now. Under $30 shipped for four! :D

In addition, I corresponded with a rep from ESU (manufacturer of Coralife) and they confirmed that they don't carry daylight bulbs in that size. However, he was going to forward my recommendation to start carrying them on to their product designers. Who knows, maybe they'll have them in the future. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom