Where to buy sand cheaply?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMDPhenomX4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok well I need to get a lot of sand to cover the 90 Gallon tank my uncle is giving me. Wheres the cheapest place you guys have found? Or should i just Reuse old sand and fill the tank up carefully.

IMO I would not use old sand. Even while rinsing it out it is still quite dirty. I know of some that do reuse it but I dont.

you can reuse your old sand. I clean it by putting some in a 10 gal bucket, stir it up lots so most of the mulm is suspended in water, then pour out the water. You would lose a bit of sand, but it gets rid of a lot of the stuff.

The best place to get sand & gravel in my area is a landscape supply place. I can get a 2 cu. foot bucket for $2. <They have 1/2 a dozen types: play sand, coarse sand (=PFS) ... etc.> They also have an extensive pond supply section where I can get fish safe rocks, plants & ferts.

you can use sand blasting sand also, you have the right idea though "aquarium" sand is too expensive.. you can even hit up a home depot or any builder store and buy sand there, just make sure you rinse it out real good

Back
Top Bottom