where to start? ~40 gal planted/tropical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently, all we have is a small (1") female Betta in a 1.75 gal tank w/filter and heater.

We'd like to get a ~40 g planted tank (freshwater/tropical).

We'd love to have the Betta live w/the new community, but we can leave her solitary if that's better.

We want a planted tank and can maintain warmth if need be.

Where to start?

As far as lighting - what kind/intensity of lighting do I need for a healthy planted tank? Should I have a timer for 12 hrs on/off or is another timeframe better?

The tank will be in a living room.

What kind of fish do you recommend? I have two sons age 5 and 7 with some interest in it as well, but as most of you parents know, I'm sure I'll be doing 99% of the maintenance! :lol:

Currently, all we have is a small (1") female Betta in a 1.75 gal tank w/filter and heater.
We'd like to get a ~40 g planted tank (freshwater/tropical).
We'd love to have the Betta live w/the new community, but we can leave her solitary if that's better.
We want a planted tank and can maintain warmth if need be.
Where to start?
As far as lighting - what kind/intensity of lighting do I need for a healthy planted tank? Should I have a timer for 12 hrs on/off or is another timeframe better?
The tank will be in a living room.
What kind of fish do you recommend? I have two sons age 5 and 7 with some interest in it as well, but as most of you parents know, I'm sure I'll be doing 99% of the maintenance! :lol:

Hi, are you going to be running CO2 injection at all? Also how high is the tank.

Light timer will depend on light power but I'd suggest 7 to 8 hours to start with. Lower if algae gets too much. LED lighting has come a long way and I'd suggest that as you don't need to keep buying bulbs every 9 months or so then.

Liquid carbon dosing (glut) will add some carbon (not much) but is handy on algae control.

Welcome to API Fishcare: CO₂ BOOSTER®

I'd also suggest a solution / vial test kit to measure nitrates and phosphates. And aim for say 20ppm nitrates and 1 to 2ppm phosphates roughly. Nitrates higher than say 40ppm are not needed for planted tanks if you also have sensitive fish. Some thoughts.

An option as far as stocking, could consider a beta sorority tank? For this I'd recommend at least 5 female betas. Any less and the hierarchy could be too small and one fish could be picked on too much.

Just one of a few options you have.

Another option to the light and plants is floating plants. They do not require injected co2 as they get from the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

40g standard tanks have great floor space and aren't too tall for good lighting.

If it was me ?
Big group of one species of Corydoras
They look awesome in larger numbers

Big group 12 or more of a flashy Tetra or Rasbora

BN Pleco or Otos

Amano Shrimp

Pearl Gourami -1

Back
Top Bottom