Which canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a flyer from one of my lfs's and there are 4 canister filters. I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the better deal. The first one is marineland multi-stage canister filters starting at $69.99 after mail in rebate. It doesn't say anything about gph. The next one is eheim canister filters starting at $89.99. Included when you buy one of these is s media and valve set. Then there is an API nexx filter. Rated up to 55 gallons. Then they have a Rena filstar canister filter for $99.99. Rated for up to 45 gallons.

Anyways I was just wondering on what everyone thought was the best deal.

Anybody have an opinion or even experience with one of these?

How much did you pay and what was it rated for?gph or just gallons

I no that buying online is cheaper but I'd rather not have to go through the hassle. And I would do the research but the only thing is I. The add it didn't say how much for what rating just starting prices other then the API.

What exactly do you see as the hassle of buying online? Amazon is remarkably easy to deal with, has great prices, fast shipping, excellent customer service and return assistance, etc.

I no it's easy but there is always the chance of it getting broken or lost. Then you have to call and explain what happened. Also it doesn't beat going out buying it and bringing it home right then and there.

To each his own I suppose. Last time I received a broken shipment, or failed to receive entirely, from a reputable online dealer was, well, never. (y)

I don't recall the specs on my ehiem other than it is rated for 90 gallons. It cost me $250. Ordering online is great but I've found (since I'm in Canada) not alot of places ship here so I'm stuck paying the price. I've found some wicked deals online but in Canada they are unavailable alot of the time.

I use Rena XP canister filters, I really like them. The are very dependable, and very easy to service. I also second everyone's opinion about buying on line. Amazon has aquarium products for almost less than half what you will pay elsewhere. It is very easy to return defective items also, just a few questions on line and you print a return label and ship it back free;)

foster53 said:
I use Rena XP canister filters, I really like them. The are very dependable, and very easy to service. I also second everyone's opinion about buying on line. Amazon has aquarium products for almost less than half what you will pay elsewhere. It is very easy to return defective items also, just a few questions on line and you print a return label and ship it back free;)

++1........

Alright thank you, if I was to by a canister do I need to purchase a head pump or does it no need one?

Canister filters wouldn't come with the pipes and stuff that you need or do they?

Just got a fluval 306 off amazon for 115$. Rated up to 65 or 70 gallons. Came with everything needed. And super easy to run

So I bought an eheim 250 classic. I was going to buy the 150 at first but then I asked how much the next one up was. She said the 150 was for 89.99 and the 250 was 99.99

I have a Rena and wouldn't change it for the world. I absolutely love it. It's quiet and keeps my tank clean. Minimal cleaning of the filter housing and media makes it even better.

Personally, I never let money dictate my filter choice. And yes, we're on a budget like most everyone else. When you figure that this little piece of machinery helps keep your pets alive, it's worth whatever you need to pay to get the right equipment for your tank setup and stock.

Back
Top Bottom