Which filter to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 55g salt tank (fish only), which has been up and running for the past 5 years. Iam using an Emperor 400 filter and a CRP backpak skimmer. The CRP is again given me problems and I feel it's time for an upgrade. I would also like to upgrade my filter to a canister style.

I would like some input as to what brand of canister filter and skimmer would work best. Here is what I was thinking about buying. An Eheim 2026 Pro II canister and an Aqua C skimmer. I welcome any suggestions any of you might have.

The last thing I wanted to ask was what the procedure would be for changing the two out.

If you have about 1.5-2 Lbs of rock per gallon in your tank, you could save the money on a filter. I have a fluvial on my 55G, but it only has the ceramic rings in it, no sponges or carbon.

You can't go wrong with Eheim although the Emp 400 is an excellent filter and will run for years. I also like the Aqua C skimmers, but I would suggest the Pro for a 55 gal tank...the regular Remora isn't enough. You may have some trouble with the pump coming loose as well so you might want to pick up a couple of extra clamps and secure it a little better than it is from the manufacturer.

Welcome to AA!! You are likely to get a few different opinions on brands of cannisters. Personally I use fluvals, a 305 would work fine, or a 304 if you could still find it. If it were me I would use the Emp 400 and a cannister depending on what stock you have for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom