Which filter would you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barliman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I'll soon be setting up a 10g as a grow out tank for some platy fry spawned by my sex-maniac platys. (I'd swear you can hear the Barry White tunes coming from their tank at night... :eek: )

Which filter do you think would be better: a sponge filter or an AC20? I've already bought a new AC 20, but I began to think a sponge might be better for this particular purpose. They seem to have greater biofiltration and the tank is bond to be a bit overstocked as they grow. (I plan to do frequent water changes.)

I don't mind keeping the AC 20 as a spare for a while: once the platys are grown and gone, I might swap it in and keep some small species in the tank.

Which would you choose? :confused:

I prefer HOBs... But for fry I have always been a firm believer in sponge. Its just safer.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's my thinking, too. The fish I'd move aren't really newborn fry, more liked juveniles -- platy shaped and colored, but tiny. No way I could catch the fry: they're expert at hiding amongst the plants. :bad-words:

I may just go with the AC 20. This will be in the living room, and I really don't want to be bothered with the buzzing of the air-pump.

I love my AC50 filter and I have a prefilter sponge over my fry tank one. Sometimes slows down the movement and you'll probably have to replace them if it isn't a good quality one (I get mine online, the Fluval ones get all squeezed up too quickly) and clean them every so often. :)

I use some I get from Home Depot . They are in the pond dept . A 2 pack is about $10 , but I cut them in half so I get 4 . I like them because they are fine enough to catch debris , but coarse enough that they don't clog so fast . I rinse them once a week at WC's , but could go longer . I just do it while I have the filters off for WC . They do have a hole all the way through , but I just cut a small piece of any kind of scrap sponge I have and stick it in the end . If they are too big just use a rubber band to keep it on . I use them on some Marineland filters that have big intakes and I can get them to stretch over with a little effort .

Where do you get yours?

Online for about 50 cents each. I use a website called AliExpress and it takes a long time to get here but the shipping's free (and that's a relief since I live in Canada). I get about 4 every couple months and they last a long time. The Fluval ones never lasted more than a week for me.

Back
Top Bottom