Which light gives me blueish color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a standard hood (20 gal long) and need a new bulb for just fish. It is a flourescent bulb with the two prongs on either end. No plants or corals. Just want something that gives me a more blue color vs yellowish or white. Even with the Zoo Med lights there are a bunch of options but cant find a resource that actually shows what the light looks like. Which would be my best option and I only mention zoo med because I see it at all the stores. I am open to anything.

Thanks for help

Doesn't really matter what brand. The color temperature is what you're looking for. As you get lower, light gets more red/yellow. The higher the number, the bluer. If you get a 10,000k bulb, you're going to have a nice white light. I wouldn't say it has much blue in it, but definitely not pink or yellow. As you get up in the 14000k-20,000k, you get in to the bluer light. Now if you want BLUE, a 420nm actinic bulb will do that. Almost purple blue. You don't want a single actinic as it won't give you any color at all IMO.

I have two lights on my 150g. No plants either, so it's just two 32w t8 bulbs. One's a 10,000k and one is an actinic. I get a nice bright light with blue tint when both are running.

Continuing on what mfdrookie said, you could get a 50/50 bulb, which is half 10000k and half actinic. It's still got the blue of actinic, but it's not pure blue.

Back
Top Bottom