Which Metal Halide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are 5 inches wider, which is where Iam hurtin on space. I would have a hard time fitting my super actinics with those...maybe do able though..

You dont like the coral vue lamps?

IMO there are better options for SE lamps. With that said, I have never tried them.
Another option for you would be to go with a 20k lamp and then you will not need the super actinics anymore.
Keep one thing in mind, if you can't fit Spider Reflectors, how will you ever upgrade reflectors from those standard DE Refelctors? Unless the Reef Optix reflectors would fit with your VHOs??? I know reef optix are much smaller than Lumenarc minis and LumenMax, yet they are still better than a standard reflector.

Iam not dead set on the DE, the reason Iam leaning in that direction is because the DE parabolic reflectors are smaller and I have a limited amount of space in my canopy. If I get the DE I will go with the Pheonix 14k, SE maybe the CoralVue 14k.
Well....neither of those bulbs are very good, PAR wise, and both are very blue looking so you may not need actinics with either. They put out less PAR than the 175w Iwasaki 15k bulbs I use.
250w Phoenix 14k DE - 79 PPFD
250w CoralVue 15k SE - 47 PPFD
as a comparison, 175w Iwasaki 15k SE - 86 PPFD (plus I use DIY Lumenarc Mini reflectors)
hammertone-after2_3-09.jpg

This may help you find a bulb. You can just choose the wattage and it will show all the results for every bulb or you can break it down by manufacturer or even a specific bulb. Just a few things to note. When looking at DE bulb performance, make sure you look at the results WITH a UV shield. No one runs DE bulbs without the shield. Also, look at the CCT, which is the actual color temp of the bulbs. If there is no number there, the bulbs were too blue to register on the software that was used for the measurements.
Select from Performance Data

Good stuff, Thanks. So will it be better to get a 10k MH lamp and keep the actinics, or get rid of the actinics and go with one of the more blue spectrum lamps?

By the way, great job with those reflectors. I dont think many people could have made those as well as you did.

A real nice combo is 250w XM 10k SE with actinics. In fact, I just upgraded my lighting (yesterday was the 1st day with the new setup) and that's what I'm using now. The XM 10k's pump out 137 PPFD on the M58 magnetic ballasts I'm using and have a nice CCT (actual color) of 12k. That's almost double the PPFD output of Phoenix and almost triple that of the CoralVue......and they all use the same amount of electricity.

Thanks. The reflectors did turn out nice. I'm happy with how they are working AND how much $$$ I saved making them myself.

Thats a lot of PAR! Thanks; I think that is what I will go with.

A real nice combo is 250w XM 10k SE with actinics. In fact, I just upgraded my lighting (yesterday was the 1st day with the new setup) and that's what I'm using now. The XM 10k's pump out 137 PPFD on the M58 magnetic ballasts I'm using and have a nice CCT (actual color) of 12k. That's almost double the PPFD output of Phoenix and almost triple that of the CoralVue......and they all use the same amount of electricity.

Thanks. The reflectors did turn out nice. I'm happy with how they are working AND how much $$$ I saved making them myself.

That PAR would fry my corals and bleach their color. I have to be careful putting coral under my Lumenarcs with Radiums which are 66-PAR. Even when going up slowly, its too much PAR for some of my acros. However, my bulbs are a little too close to the surface. I am going to have a higher canopy built.

Well....neither of those bulbs are very good, PAR wise, and both are very blue looking so you may not need actinics with either. They put out less PAR than the 175w Iwasaki 15k bulbs I use.
250w Phoenix 14k DE - 79 PPFD
250w CoralVue 15k SE - 47 PPFD
as a comparison, 175w Iwasaki 15k SE - 86 PPFD (plus I use DIY Lumenarc Mini reflectors)
hammertone-after2_3-09.jpg

This may help you find a bulb. You can just choose the wattage and it will show all the results for every bulb or you can break it down by manufacturer or even a specific bulb. Just a few things to note. When looking at DE bulb performance, make sure you look at the results WITH a UV shield. No one runs DE bulbs without the shield. Also, look at the CCT, which is the actual color temp of the bulbs. If there is no number there, the bulbs were too blue to register on the software that was used for the measurements.
Select from Performance Data

Nice picture of your lighting. What kind of paint did you use for the inside of the canopy? Do you think it helps with reflection?

Thanks. I used a couple coats of white exterior latex inside the canopy. I doubt it actually helps with reflecting light back down into the tank, but it does make it bright in there. As you know, the Lumenarcs do a great job directing the light down into the tank and the VHO SuperActinis I use are UVL's that have the built in 180° reflector.

That PAR would fry my corals and bleach their color. I have to be careful putting coral under my Lumenarcs with Radiums which are 66-PAR. Even when going up slowly, its too much PAR for some of my acros. However, my bulbs are a little too close to the surface. I am going to have a higher canopy built.

I hope that it isnt too much for my tank. The reason I want to go with the XM's is because my tank is 30" deep. What do you think? Be okay?

You will be fine. I know ppl who use 400w MH's on tanks that deep.

Those XM 10k's are AWESOME! I thought the 175w Iwasaki's were bright.....these blow them away. They are SUPER BRIGHT WHITE. I was a little worried I would light stress the corals so I got some eggcrate and 2 layers of screen to cut the light penetration, but it seemed alot darker than before with the 175's. I got in touch with Eric Borneman again and he told me to remove the screen and just use the eggcrate since that will diffuse the light enough not to cook them yet still have an increase in PAR. I'll leave the eggcrate in place about a week.

Did I mention I love this 250w XM 10K + VHO SuperActinic combo? :D

Last edited:
Lol, yeah I think you mentioned that. I'm starting to think you invested in XM stock. I will definately try them out. Thanks

I have xm 10k's w/2 80w actinics and the tank looks great. the guy who helped me with my canopy even liked them. on my upgrade I think i'll stick with xm bulbs. I was told to do straight t5's but I like the shimmer effect of the MH's.

Back
Top Bottom