Which new skimmer for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See attached
Are those three chambers completely separate? I would say no. If they are all interconnected then the water will fluctuate in all three chambers/compartments equally. What am I not understanding here?

WMC said:
Are those three chambers completely separate? I would say no. If they are all interconnected then the water will fluctuate in all three chambers/compartments equally. What am I not understanding here?

This is the sump I have an aqueon proflex model 2....see attached

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110130_133656.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110130_133656.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 82
as long as it's not in the return section, the water level will be steady. the return section is the only place you will see evaporation, so it's the only section that's water level is not consistent.

i like split my sump into 3 chambers as well- intake section with skimmer, refugium section, and return section.

yes, the three chambers are completely separate. they have solid partitions separating them.

mr_X said:
yes, the three chambers are completely separate. they have solid partitions separating them.

My concern with this sump is where do I put Tue Skimmer if I decide to create a refugium?

there is no space for a skimmer if you do this. not that i can figure.
did you purchase this already? if not, you can make your own sump out of a standard glass tank very easily. it will serve you better in the long run because it will be exactly as you need it, plus, it will be a lot cheaper.

mr_X said:
there is no space for a skimmer if you do this. not that i can figure.
did you purchase this already? if not, you can make your own sump out of a standard glass tank very easily. it will serve you better in the long run because it will be exactly as you need it, plus, it will be a lot cheaper.

I already bought the sump so I will just do without a refugium

mr_X said:
you can always use a HOB refugium, or a HOb skimmer for that matter.

I would love to have the fuge but for now based on the fact that I am just staryng out with the FOWL I will concentrate on getting the new Skimmer and try to start stocking the tank

rncarter said:
I think it is adjusted properly. It sits in about 7-8" of water. It creates foam but the foam doesn't go go the collection cup.

Pictures

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110212_080114.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110212_080114.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20110212_080141.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110212_080141.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 76
I've got the 150 and I've got it so that the bubbles reach the middle of the narrow part of the neck. It varies it bit but see where the bottom of your cup is, that's where I have mine. I don't plug the top but rather use the tube that came with it to output to a 4 gallon jug with a hole just big enough to fit the tube through and keep it there with friction. During the first little while I had messed around with the valve and overflowed it a couple of times. If you are going to change the level inside the unit make sure you are going to be around for a couple of hours as you want to make those adjustments slowly and then watch for overflows.

I'm very happy with the unit. I returned my coralife before using it and ordered this unit. I'm usually emptying the jug every couple of weeks when it really goes nuts but cleaning the foam out of the cup every 5 - 6 days.

Steve

that water level should be up to the neck like steve said. it's adjusted way too low to get any skimmate.

mr_X said:
that water level should be up to the neck like steve said. it's adjusted way too low to get any skimmate.

I adjusted the water to just Below the collection cup. However, I am getting more wet foam than dry.

what do you mean, wet foam/dry foam? do you mean the cup is filling with light colored water like tea and you want it darker?

mr_X said:
what do you mean, wet foam/dry foam? do you mean the cup is filling with light colored water like tea and you want it darker?

The foam is more watery. But my guess is within a matter of weeks it will start to get dark

Back
Top Bottom