Which Octopus HOB skimmer for my 55g??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ge-off

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up my 55 gallon FOWLR tank. I don't have the room for a sump so I am going with a HOB skimmer. I have been looking around and everyone seems to like the Octopus skimmers. Now the problem is there are too many to pick from! What would you guys and gals recommend?? I was thinking about the BH100 since it is the cheapest one and will fit my tank, or should I step it up to the BH100F or BH300?? Is the additional cost worth it? It is really hard to see what the differences are between each model. Like the BH100F has 2 chambers instead of 1. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

EDIT: I really don't like how the pump is hanging in the tank on the BH100... I guess the others have the pump inside? and can I fit my heater inside this? also the BH100SS has a surface skimmer on it, is that something I should get?

Ge-off

With a tank of that size any of them would work fine. It seems you already have features you like, or don't. You can't go wrong with a Reef Octopus

Cool, Thank you Ahab. I just didn't want to pick one up and then everyone tell me that I missed a key feature that the next model has. I just need to find the best deal on one of these.

And can I mount my heater inside this thing? It would be nice to not have it in my tank :)

I placed my order today for my powerheads and my Reef Octopus BH-100F... I cant wait to get this thing! Should be here middle of next week :) I'll post some pics when it gets here.

That was a good choice. Be prepared for a great skimmer. I bought the BH100 model. It works amazingly, and it pulls a lot of skimmate. It is a great product and you will be glad you put money in to that skimmer. Only thing i regret is not going with the one you bought lol. I bought the one with the pump IN the tank.. and now it takes up a lot of space. :/ But overall, its great. Wouldn't have bought any other one.

Back
Top Bottom