Which of these 4 power filters for a 50 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gnarls Gnarlington

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which of these 4 power filters would you recommend for a 50 gallon SeaClear?

1. Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75
2. Marineland Emperor 400
3. Tetra Whisper EX70
4. AquaClear 70

(...or something else?)

I saw these at the local pet shop.

I prefer canisters over HOB's for efficientcy my vote would be a Fluval 305/405 depending on stocking levels, only drawback is price is a little higher.

I love the AC70, really good flow. I have a 70 and a fluval 305 on a 36 gallon bow, with a powered. IMHO, a AC 110 or two 70s. You could just get the one 70 then a second later.

HUKIT said:
I prefer canisters over HOB's for efficientcy my vote would be a Fluval 305/405 depending on stocking levels, only drawback is price is a little higher.

Agree.

Which is quieter, a canister or HOB? It will be in a bedroom. I think water flowing is more soothing than the hum of a pump.

Hmmm. So canisters are quieter and more efficient?!

Okay, different direction then. What would you recommend then? The Fluval 305/405?

Neither make any noise, their pump are not very power full, it will depend on how high the return has to fall, my 70 return is the same level as the water. For me is the same.

Hmmm. Okay, so a HOB is self contained (all I need is the HOB). What else do I need with a canister? Hoses? Sump? (I'm a n00b.)

Everything you will need will be included when you by the filter. I changed out the carbon after my tank cycled for more bio filtration.

Fluval 405, I also like Ehiem they are very well built. Look for similar flow rate to compare, but they general cost more.

Back
Top Bottom