Which powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ants86

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 60g cube (24x24x24) with one hydor 1050 PH, but looking to up the flow as I am dealing with some cyano problems, particularly along the sand bed (but not too much that it stirs up a sandstorm). Probably won't upgrade tanks anytime in the near future (at least 5 years). Which option would you guys go with and why?

1) 1 MP10
2) 1 MP40
3) Jaebo WP25

Thanks much!

I have a mp 10 on my 24 x 24 x24 cube and its perfect flow! The wp40 would be overkill in my opinion and since you arent likely to upgrade soon seems like a waste of money to go with the mp40. :)

I keep mind on a random crest flow I think it is at about 75%. It's pretty much a set and forget it type powerhead, other than cleaning the inside prop every week or so. :)

Thanks Carey. I am interested in the mp10's nutrient export mode. Is it easy to dial the flow back to a particular percentage, or are there only preset levels?

There are preset levels you adjust with a little dial. There is a button that you press to cycle through the different modes though. It will light up the dial with a different color so you know what mode you are on.

Picked up a new WP-25 yesterday from a local reefer for $70. So far I'm loving all the different settings and how small it is (not to mention I saved around $200 by not buying the mp10!). Still trying to fine tune it so that it creates just enough flow around the rockwork and sandbed, but I have a feeling I will constantly be tinkering with it.

The light sensor actually works really well as it turns on and off with ambient light as opposed to light from my fixture. The living room where my tank is is very well lit so the WP-25 will pretty much be in sync with the daylight.

Right now I have the WP-25 behind a rock wall pointed at the rocks (trying to get more varied flow around the rocks which get covered with cyano usually a day or so after I clean it all off), but I don't really notice any difference from before, when I only had a Hydor 1050. The wave modes seem cool but I only have a 60g cube so the effect is not as nice as in a long tank, so I have it on Else Mode. Any thoughts as to placement? Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom