Which screws do I use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I want to fasten slate pieces to some DW to keep it from floating til its water logged any particular type I should use?
Have been told the Eucalyptus root I am thinking of using took someone 3/4 weeks in a bin to get waterlogged & I need it now of course [emoji20]

Stainless steel screws.

Plus 1 to that .
There should be a whole section of stainless fasteners in a HD or Lowes .
Small hardware stores should have some .
Poke the hole in slate from opposite side you will insert screw and it should be naturally recessed. That is how slates break like an upside down funnel .(y)

Learn something new every day thanks CB ��
I do slate roofs ..I think it is literally thousand year old technology.
I cut slate by hand also with an old slate cutter[ no grinder ] . To have the natural edge you cut them upside down also .This how it works .

th

This is the cutter I have several of ;
th

Slate roofs are an art .:brows:
I am actually about to cut slates for my paludarium build .

Quick question for you then - how would I go about finding a place that would sell me additional slate pieces I could use as weights - living on the Canadian Shield most stone places here sell limestone or granite -

Call a roofing supplier !
They might only a couple bucks each.
Most slates come from East US [Vermont/NY] so Canada should have them.. You sure have the best foreign access !
I have shipped slates before in USA .I don't think they are illegal or need a permit if you can't find any local I can investigate shipping cost ..
I cut them to specific sizes and a few different colors for a couple breeders.. Angel fish LOVE slate !

Quick question for you then - how would I go about finding a place that would sell me additional slate pieces I could use as weights - living on the Canadian Shield most stone places here sell limestone or granite -

Do you have a Big Als near you? my local one usually has an array of rocks/hard scape material and almost always has a bin full of slate for "relatively" cheap.

Back
Top Bottom