Who makes the best RO filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vipvenom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering who makes the best RO filter for your buck? and where can these be purchased? I only need a small volume RO filter 35-50 GPD but anything that has worked for you please let me know.

thanks,
Chris

Are you looking for the whole unit?
ro and ro/di are 2 different things, you just want a ro unit? IMO getting the Di also is worth the extra money.
airwaterice.com has nice units, ebay has units that people have been buying.
Do a search on the site there are a bunch of posts about this.

I haven't gotten it yet, but I just ordered from airwaterice.com. Walter was a lot of help and they've got competive prices.

newbie here, not trying to hijack this thread but is the RO/DI units somewhat the same as what Water Purification companies use to install at your home for water filtration to make clean drinking water. or is this something completly different?

can you use the home filter water for aquarium use? btw, jackdp which model did u get from aireaterice.com

There are many different kinds of filters out there, without knowing exactly which kind the company is installing its hard to compare. I just moved into a home with untreated well water, so I bought the home/reef dual unit with a permeate pump to increase efficiency. Like I said above, I haven't actually gotten yet so I can't really comment on the unit itself but the service was good.

I will do a search on this forum. I was thinking of the complete unit RO/DI. What are the price ranges for good units with the RO/DI?

They range a lot in prices... you can get some ebay units for around $80 and from vendors they can run over $200, it all depends on what you want.
I have the typhoon III from AWI and love it, Walter is a great guy to deal with. did it cost more then a ebay unit... Yes but I know if I have any problems Walter will help me out and he already has with several issues..

I've seen them on E-bay for $65-$200+ . The dual unit I ordered was close to $300. It gives you RO water at faucet and separate outlet for the further filtered DI water. I also had a permeate pump included that should reduce waste water and increase RO efficiency. Remember, almost half the cost is in the membrane and filter cartridges...all of these easily cost $100+ for good quality components.

I bought mine on ebay. I have had no problems. You said you wanted 35-50 GPD keep in mind systems are usually rated at 100PSI and most homes are 40-60 so you will only get 50 GPD from a system rated at 100 gallons.

I just ordered the premium 75 gpd ro/di from here

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/

Did the transaction online so I can't say much about customer service. It should be home by tomorrow. Seems to be a competetive price for the unit. I would say from my research online to get the vertical DI. It's suppose to be better. Also the reason I went with the 75 gpd instead of the 100 gpd is because the 75 membrane has a higher rejection rate. This will prolong the life of the DI resin. I've been using a 10 gpd Kent bare bones so the 75 should be a lot better :D

Stephen

i just bought a new Kent Maxxima 50 gpd for $55 from ebay. seller has a good rating so im hoping for the best.

since we are in the topic of RO/DI, where is the best place to install and what tips or recommendations do you have on them?

Another question about filters. Are most of the filters universal (RO/DI Prefilter carbon) or do you have to buy brand specific in order for it to fit? As far as replacements go?

The RO/DI came in today. The prefilters that came with mine are a 1-micron poly sediment and a 0.6-micron carbon block. They are in the same housing like the standard whole house water filters. I suppose any standard filter will work but I will be getting replacements from Buckeye Field Supply because I haven't found any with that small micron size.

That's good to know that the filters are a standard size. I have an RO/DI coming next week. I can't wait to fire it up.

I got my RO/DI from Airwaterice.com last night. Hooked it up this morning no problems. I gotta say I'm impressed with the service and build. All the connections were very well marked and the directions Walter sends are very helpful. I had it built with a permeate pump added that is supposed to decrease waste water by 80% and increase output efficiency, time will tell how well it all works.

Back
Top Bottom