Why is my tank so warm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soytnly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a simple setup, a 20 gallon FW tank with two Walmart power filters on the back. The tank was in excess of 84 degrees due to room temp, though the room temp wasn't even close to that. I moved it to the basement, which is full depth and is no warmer than 70 during the middle of the summer. The tank won't get lower than 82 degrees now, and it's not the heaters (I unplugged one heater and they are set at 78) . Is this to be expected? I would think that the temp would drop at least into the 70's given the ambient temp. Could the power filters be heating it up this much? I don't know what else to do, and can't afford a chiller.

The temperature settings on heaters are generally unreliable in terms of an absolute reading. If the tank is holding at 82 degrees, then you need to turn your heater down by several degrees, regardless of what the dial says it's set to.

I know it seems obvious, but I've never had a temp problem in the winter (Minnesota) so just assssumed it was okay. I'll dial it back a number of clicks and see if it helps. It's very steady at 82, which made me wonder if there was a problem there. Thanks!

one of the reasons i only use 2 types of heaters i dont trust the others. i would guess its the heater too.

grrr

darn heater...what are the best brands? Years ago when I had salts I used Ebo-Jaeger as I recall, good stuff...that was 20 years ago though.

i use ebo but i only buy visi therm. i have had one problem in the 20-30 or so i have over the years. i emailed them and they sent a replacement rigth away. i was doing a water change and the auto off didnt kick in so it melted the plastic.

I'm a big fan of the visitherm stealths. We use one or two ebos as well without issue.

Oh man, do I feel like a knob. I just unplugged the heater last night and down, down, down went the temp. Lesson learned, I'll be buying a good one today. Thanks, as always. I guess if your tv doesn't work you should check to see if it's plugged in ;)

Back
Top Bottom