Why run mag pumps internally in sumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i'm DIY'ing my sump out of acrylic, and i'm going through previous posts with plans, finished projects, etc. I noticed that pretty much everybody just drops their pump in the return area. Is this just because it's the easiest way to get it done? I am thinking about drilling a bulkhead about 1" off the bottom of the return area, and running my mag pump external on the outside. I guess the only real benefit is any small increase in water temperature i'll be avoiding from running it internally. But i figure since i'm going to be DIY'ing this thing, i can put any little touch on it i want, and just being able to disconnect the pump for maintenance or whatever is more convenient than pulling out a dripping wet pump. But since i'm still fairly new to this whole sump thing, what i want to do might be a big no-no or something. Any input?

It's generally not recommended to run Mag pumps externally. I don't know how common it is but there have been cases of some seal starting to leak. Not a problem if it's running in the sump though. And the other part, as you guessed, is that it's just easy to drop it in the sump.

They are water cooled either way so it wont make much of a differece in keeping your water temp cooler by mounting it external. Its just flat easier to drop it in vs having to do a bulkhead with a shut off valve, etc. If you dont put a shutoff valve on the line running to the pump you will have to drain the sump every time you do pump maintance.

Not only that but most people running mags in sumps have precious little space under the cabinet for extras like all the space it would take to put the shut off and then the pump along with the associated pipe. Most people would prefer to have the extra space in the sump for water.

And that's why i ask the pros like you guys haha. I probably would have never thought of those things until after i drilled my hole and tried to plumb it. I guess since i was all in my DIY Mode i was trying to think of cool things i could "macguyver" in to it.

On a side note, i currently run a Remora skimmer. There wouldn't be any problems with me installing some kind of acrylic bracket to run the skimmer in-sump right? Except for the fact i lost that little bit of water volume from having my skimmer in-sump?

I can see why you would need to haha, your sump is 3x the size of my main. I guess i was just trying to get fancy.

Back
Top Bottom