will fine hairs hurt fish? (off new eheim white filter pad)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idonthavegills

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed that when I put a new white filter pad into my canister
and first turn it on there is a cloud of tiny fine white hairs that
fills the tank. The hairs are coming from the new white filter pads
I've tried washing and soaking the pads first for an hour but it only reduces the effect a small bit.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Does it hurt the fish?

This is the link to the filter pad I mentioned
Amazon.com: EHEIM Fine Filter Pad (White) for Classic External Filter 2211 (3 Pieces): Pet Supplies

I've seen it when I change filter floss. It's not harmful to fish and will eventually wind up back in the filter.

I used to get it with some really firm aftermarket pads I used to use. You said you've tried washing them, maybe leave them under a running tap for a bit beforehand?

Switch to this stuff
5347.jpg

Thanks for replies, so far I have not seen any adverse effects to the fish but it is disconcerting to see all those hairs cloud up the water right after putting in a new filter pad.

Have tried washing and rinsing by leaving it in a clean bucket with water running on it, went away and came back 5 mins later, same hairs when swapped in. Also ordered another box from eheim off a different ebay seller in case I had a bad batch, no difference.

Switch to this stuff
Will try !!

Thanks for replies, so far I have not seen any adverse effects to the fish but it is disconcerting to see all those hairs cloud up the water right after putting in a new filter pad.

Have tried washing and rinsing by leaving it in a clean bucket with water running on it, went away and came back 5 mins later, same hairs when swapped in. Also ordered another box from eheim off a different ebay seller in case I had a bad batch, no difference.

Will try !!

The bulk filter floss like what I linked to uses much longer fibers so you shouldn't get any little fibers in your tank. On the down-side you will have to measure out a circular piece and cut it to size. Just remember, you'll have to service your canister much more often if you use any kind of fine pad/floss because it clogs up faster than the blue foam that's in there.

Back
Top Bottom