Will it Stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemurLad

Aquarium Advice Freak
The 55gal I picked up off of craigslist last month came with a homemade stand, but the stand looks as though it were made for a larger tank and it does not really feel all that sturdy. What do you folks think? Will it hold a full 55?
179825_10150089296019032_670114031_6114702_5386060_n.jpg

180789_10150089296039032_670114031_6114703_17311_n.jpg

168023_10150089296084032_670114031_6114704_24465_n.jpg

180047_10150089296164032_670114031_6114705_5502780_n.jpg

It will hold. All the weight is going directly into compression on the 6 legs. Just make sure the surface you put the stand on is flat. That stand looks like it could be easily twisted if not all the legs were sitting on a hard surface. That would translate into a non-flat surface the tank is sitting on and that is a bad thing. When you put the tank on the stand in its final position just check to make sure all the feet are firmly on the floor and that there are no large gaps (over ~1/16") between the tank frame and the surface of the stand.

I would test it outside with the tank full of water for 24hrs before putting it inside, especially if you have any doubts whatsoever.

I don't see any cross bracing. From looking at a pic of it and not actually being there there is no way I would trust that stand with a full aquarium.

I don't see any cross bracing. From looking at a pic of it and not actually being there there is no way I would trust that stand with a full aquarium.

Good catch, nothing to stop it from skewing sideways.

The back wall of the stand and the bottom shelf would act as cross bracing. Not necessarily great cross bracing but it would get the job done. As others have said if you have doubts i would test it out first.

I don't see any cross bracing.

Exactly what I was worried about, but it wouldn't be hard to add some. There's only single layer of plywood under the tank, should I be worried about that? I was hesitant to test it because if the thing breaks with the aquarium on it... Yikes.

One thing though, it sure is ugly, gonna fix it up before it takes permanent residence in my room.

Now take this with a grain of salt and no disrespect meant but -- you can't pretty up a Pinto and call it a Lamborghini. I would use it as firewood and start fresh.

Heheh, I gotcha. I just don't really wanna spend time making a new stand when I could modify the one I have. Though making a new one could be a good welding project... Hmmm.

A 55 gallon tank weighs 459 pounds, and that stand looks a bit flimsy to support that much weight. If you want to use that stand I would reinforce it with some 2 x 4s or 3/4-inch plywood sheets. Also, there should be a pad of styrofoam or other cushioning material to ease the stress.

I disagree on the weight Laurence. I think a full 55 gal would be more in the range of 600 lbs.

55 gallons of water weighs about 459lbs, but is there such a thing as a "tankless" tank? Over 600lbs is right.

This has been going around for a few days.
Build a Strong, Inexpensive Aquarium Stand « Random Bits of Projects

For the price of fixing that thing you can make a much better and probably more inexpensive stand. To me those legs just don't look sturdy. Reinforce all you want but if you have spindly legs...boom. Also great advice to fill it up outside for a day or so, no sense "testing" indoors.

If I had that stand,,....and for MY own piece of mind ( although it might be fine as it is ) ...I'd drive to home depot and get some 2x4 or 2x2's and brace that thing up.....once it's filled it's going to be tooooo late,....it looks like as it stands now that once filled all the tanks weight is being directed straight down which is fine ..,but ,once filled it looks like if you bumped it from the side it could fold up like a stack of cards.....when I got my factory made stand home and looked it over it was so cheaply put together that there was no way I was going to fill it up with water ,...I spent a day rebuilding that stand from the inside out, now I can sleep at night knowing that it's not going to collapse during the night ,and seeing that I live in California ,earthquakes and tremors,....your stand and your decision.

Water weighs 8.35 pounds each gallon. Do the math. Yes, with the glass tank added it will weigh more - probably too much for the narrow legs of the stand.

Well, I decided to go with a cinderblock stand! Holds the tank very solidly and was mega-super-cheap! Thanks for all the help guys! :D

Back
Top Bottom