Will my dresser hold more than 800 pounds?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan M.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 65 gallon tank that I would like to put on my dresser. it's going to be a reef tank so it will be around or over 800 pounds. it seems sturdy,
but I don't know I was hoping I could have some advice on maybe if it will hold or not. The measurements are about the same as the tank on the top of the dresser but stand is about 4 feet tall. Here are some pictures that might help

Attachments

• image-2695652168.jpg
    image-2695652168.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 120
  • image-100814518.jpg
    image-100814518.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image-2271299792.jpg
    image-2271299792.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 127
It doesn't look like it could, but there's more than just "holding" a tank. I had a neighbor loose almost everything when his dresser/stand fell over. It was off balance and it tipped. Needless to say, his fish are actually in my Fuge as we speak. So no, I wouldn't put your tank on that dresser. A stand is verb heap to build if you can't just go buy a pre-built one.

Yeah I decided I'm just gonna buy one. I work at a aquarium store so I can get a discount on a stand. I just wanted it on my dresser because it would look cool but thanks for the info. P.S that sucks about you friends tank ha

You made the right decision, buy or build a proper stand. I am a professional cabinet and furniture maker, that dresser won't hold anything near 800 lbs. Make sure your stand is on solid floor and level.
I have made furniture grade stands for aquariums and other heavy things. Remember that the whole thing is still top heavy, the aquarium weighs a lot more than the stand. Some times I take the extra step of fastening the stand to the wall. A couple of relatively tight guy wires of sufficient size from back of stand close to top, fastened to screw eyes into wall studs or a sturdy pair of hooks and eyes, ( heavy duty "screen door" type hooks.)

Go with what "notmrjohn" posted. And no matter what the case my be attach it to the wall, like he said it will be top heavy. Short and stumpy cabinet would be the way to go, that way it has a solid base to sit on. Oh and make sure your floor can hold that weight. I have to put support beams in for my tank on my floor joist because on the way the house sits. But my tank will weigh close to 1300 pounds. Good luck.

Yeah I found something to hold it

Attachments

• image-1318831862.jpg
    image-1318831862.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 194
Thanks man here's a update completely cycled!

Attachments

• image-1555833181.jpg
    image-1555833181.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom