Will my floor hold it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I never really thought about it but we live in a doublewide manufactured home. Its from around the 60's my fiance says but it looks newer to me. Anyway I got under it today and I cant tell if there are cynderblocks under the tank or not. Should I reinforce the floor underneath? I estimated my 50gallon to weigh with the stand around 600 pounds. The floor underneath the house looks healthy. There are no leaks or anything under there, Very dry. Well what do you guys think?

Puffer,

doesn't drive you nuts when you'd like some serious advice and no one answers!
thats one of the things that drives me crazy on this board.
Well, enough ranting.

Have you researched the manufacturer of the home...are they still in biz?
maybe a call or e-mail to them might answer your question.
Or if they are not around maybe a similar company that manufacters that same type of home might be able to help.

its just a thought

I don't think anyone could answer this question unless we know what structurally supports the floor. Are there 2x8 floor joists 16" on center? If its a trailer type home you need to get under it and see what floor system it has.

There is this thing where I have a phobia of going under houses lol. I will if I have to but id rather not if you know what I mean. I would have no clue as to how to get ahold of the manufactuer of the home. Our renting company doesnt exactly know we have it so I cant ask them. lol. Well thanks for your help guys. And yes Rocket2001 it does drive me crazy but this is still a GREAT froum. I come here more than I go to reefcentral. And they have over 114,000 members.

600 lbs should not be a problem. My reasoning, the tank weight is distrubuted over a couple of feet. Water beds are used in homes and they weigh considerably more. Is your tank parallel to the floor joists or across them? I have a 125 gal tank that is across my floor joists with no extra reinforcements, it weighs probably close to 1500 lbs with water, tank, stand, etc and has been up for 6 months with absolutely no shifting in the floor joists or signs of stress on the joists, floorboards. It is still as level as it always was. HTH.

Sounds good. I dont know whats under it, its right next to a wall though going down close to the center of the home. The wieght is distributed by 4 feet BUT it has 4 legs The feet on them are 4X4's I dont know how that would affect it.

Each leg has 150 lbs well less than most males humans. I would not worry. Generally any tank 75 and under is pretty safe. Most leases allow that size without further insurance etc.

Cool. Thanks a lot guys. Besides how much does the wverage refigerator wiegh?

rich311k said:
Each leg has 150 lbs well less than most males humans. I would not worry. Generally any tank 75 and under is pretty safe.

i was thinking that same thing.....three average guys sitting on a couch would be OK in your house why wouldn't a tank?

Having delivered more than a couple fridges in my life, I'd say about 300lbs, but that's not counting food, ice, or the cold water storage tank if you have a water dispenser.

I had the same problem but my home is a 1997 so contacting the manufacturer was what I did. I had to call about multiple water beds and multiple fish tanks.. in excess of 40 gallons.. they said that waterbeds and fish tanks all displace their weight evenly over a larger area than you'd think and as long as your house has no prior rot or damage it will be fine. I would call before I ever put up a 125 or more gallon tank but hell our waterbed holds over 133 gallons so I wouldn't really call then I guess. But I did call before I moved in, tells you how worried I am about flooring..

I'm not a 100% sure on this for use in a mobile home, but here it goes. I am purchasing a 125 gallon tank and had concerns over my floor (I own the home and it is solidly built, but still had the home owner concerns). I strenthened the floor under where the tank will be with 2x6 braces between the floor joists and then a double 2x8 beam supported by concrete block pillars on each end. I also did that under my waterbed and so far the water bed has held very nicely. I don't have the tank yet, but don't expect any any problems from the tank. Again, I'm not sure about a mobile home, but I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing under it. Good luck.

A 50 gallon tank should be fine. As others have said the weight is distributed. Modular homes still have the steel trailer frame under them as well as center piers and perimeter piers.

I have a 75G in my dining room, and my home is a hundred years old, lol. The way I figure it, for a 75G or smaller, it's like setting up a huge china cabinet and filling it with china. The weight is dispersed over the whole area under the base. So you should be perfectly fine.

A bit of late info, i have a 800ltr tank so roughly about a ton with tank stand hood filters ect, i had the base custom made to have solid front and rear runners across the feet with 2x4 to join them front to back this gave the base alot of weight distribution. i also was renting in a property ready for demolishing witch had wooden flooring. i did look under the house to see that there were maybe 4 main beams running across room. The tank was on two of them. never had a problem. the base covered 8x2ft

Back
Top Bottom