Will my tank crack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgcali

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will my stand crack?

Thanks everyone, the journey is safely underway.

Attachments

• DSCN3264.jpg
    DSCN3264.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
That overhang makes me nervous. If I were you, I would put a piece of 3/4" plywood under the tank (better yet, glue 2 together to make 1.5"). Make it wider than the tank all around so the tank is nicely supported on all the edges.

If you're asking, will it crack? Then you KNOW it isn't safe. Get a stand or EVEN a hexagonal end table at a yard sale but don't use that table. You've got glass with no support under it which will soon have ater in it weighing 8 lbs per gallon. Not safe.

I would find a better stand. Glass can take a lot of pressure, but it doesn't hold up well to sharp impacts or torsion. Leaving those sides unsupported will cause the tank to twist and your carpet to get very wet. I'm also not confident that stand will hold the 400-500lb that tank will weigh when full and decorated.

That table definitely will not hold the load of the tank. If your dead set on using it and have a few friends that weigh around 150-200lbs each, try having them sit on that table together and see if it holds. Just make sure to video tape it lol, it may be worth sending it to AFV.

Ive already had 200 + 150 + 190 lbs (3 people) on the table. We jumped up an down, stomped on the center, etc. The picture doesnt show double bolted table legs which are about 3.5 in diameter. That table is the least of my worries.

if you spend $200 getting your tank together only to have it ruined... youre gonna really wish you sprung for a better stand...

if you spend $200 getting your tank together only to have it ruined... youre gonna really wish you sprung for a better stand...

That table is the least of my worries. I know it will hold the weight of the tank. But it cant be too strong, right? Ill cut some supports for the table when Im out making my hexagon for the base. Should be fun!
a

check out the new pics of my stand, what about structural integrity?

Last edited:
Even though you say the table is the least of your worries there is another factor to consider. The long term status of it being on the table. Will the table be able to hold over 400 lbs over a period of time. I know you had a few people on it but that was for a minute or two. I would not do it if it was me because of the long term pressure that would be on the table. JMO.

table braces ready, ply under the frame, all systems gooooooo. Thanks for the help guys
now the fun part!

Back
Top Bottom