Will the glass sag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nubster

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a non-fish-related question...but concerning a fish tank. I just purchased a used 120 gallon tank. 48x24x24. Corner overflows and drilled bottom. I purchased the tank to build into a vivarium for poison dart frogs.

My two options are...obviously one building it as a top access vivarium.

Pros:
~No conversion is needed other than buying the lid kit and rather than using the plastic filler strips, building or converting those into screened vents.
~Large unobstructed viewing area.

Cons:
~Accessing the interior of the tank for building and planting and maintenance.
~No lower front ventilation. Not needed but helps with preventing front glass condensation and chimney effect works well to get natural air movement in the enclosure.

Option 2, tip the tank onto its side and convert the front into a front opening enclosure...either with swing or sliding doors.

Pros:
~Easier access to the interior.
~Would allow for building in a lower vent.
~Less or no front glass condensation due to lower vent/chimney effect.

Cons:
~Center brace would obstruct some of the view.
~Requires conversion of the tank.
~No top rear vent so the chimney effect would not be as effective.
~Possible damage to the tank.

So I'm leaning towards wanting to do the front opening conversion. But my concern is the glass and would it be ok tipped over. Namely the top glass which would be formally the back panel...so a 48x24 pane of glass. Would it have any tendency to sag under it's own weight? If I did this conversion...I'd really want to remove the center brace so it did not obstruct the view. The glass is at least 3/8" and might be 1//2". I didn't have time to measure it...I got home with the tank and had to go to work which is where I am now as I type this. I also do not believe the glass is tempered.

Thoughts?

There would be little to no water in it? Only substrate for the frogs?

Correct. No water other than maybe a very small amount that drains through the substrate and into the drainage layer...so a couple gallons at most at any time.

How about a 3 step ladder and little fan or 2 to move air around and use top as the top.

Not sure I understand what you mean about the 3 step ladder...but a fan or two is definitely something I'd consider if it appears to need some air movement within the enclosure. There would be some venting built-in...there would be a full-length bottom and top vent below and above the doors. Not as ideal as a purpose-built enclosure which would have top rear vents and under-the-door vents for better cross enclosure air movement. But adding a small fan would definitely help with some air movement.

Back
Top Bottom