Will this stand work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you cannot find something NOW just sit the tank on the floor for a while and continue to locate a stand you love. Your fish don't mind looking at your feet for a while. Ya it's a pain having to empty it again when you do find the stand but in the long run you will be happier I think.

I spoke with my lfs owner and he said that the stand he has for it is higher quality. I trust him, known him for years. The only bummer is that it's a light oak color. Definitely won't do, so now my project is getting that thing painted black. He said it has a poly coating. No idea how to do this. Sand it, slap some primer on it then paint? What type of paint would be the best?

Rule #1- never use a desk for an aquarium stand
Rule #2- never trust an lfs employee..
Why not have the contractor whip you up a 2x4 frame with a black wrap?? Shouldn't be all that expensive. Contact a local carpenter and ask them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

lol I know..but seriously, I've known this guy for a really long time. I'm a regular customer and he wouldn't carry pos stands in his shop. It's truly an isolated situation. He is really like that. Anyway, I'll take pics this evening and we'll see if it gets the "okay."

You can also use cinder blocks and 2x4's to make a temporary stand

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha c'mon Exotic, like I have 2x4's and cinder blocks just lying around the house. That's a manly man thing. I'd have to buy both, and I couldn't bear looking at it in my bedroom. I'm going to check out the stand at the lfs and go from there.

Haha c'mon Exotic, like I have 2x4's and cinder blocks just lying around the house. That's a manly man thing. I'd have to buy both, and I couldn't bear looking at it in my bedroom. I'm going to check out the stand at the lfs and go from there.

Haha, I thought everyone had a stack of cinderblocks and a pile of 2x4's next to their giant manly saw and beer refrigerator. Lol.
Yeah that idea was kind of just to get by in a pinch, they are a real eyesore. I'm sure the stand at the lfs is probably plenty capable. I have a 60 gallon that tips the scales at about 700 lbs. on a prefab tank stand. I'm not crazy about it, particularly the stability of it, but after 3 years it's never flooded my home.

I think we (me) got a little carried away.

I obviously don't know a thing about your "contractor" but I can tell you not to hire him for anything major because that was terrible advise. That's what 3/4" oak? Maybe 1"? Regardless, even before you get to the fact the bottom isn't braced to the top it cannot support the weight of over 800 lbs. A stand this size needs at minimum 6, preferably 8 2x4's that butt joint at the top and bottom. It's not even close to being able to support that kind of weight.

A stand made of 3/4 ply would readily support a 75 gallon tank if built properly. No 2x4 are needed just easy for most DIY people to use.

Well I feel like a great big idiot. I just picked up the stand, brought it home and we unloaded it, then I noticed something. I need opinions here. It's oak and pine, and it seems ok. The lfs guy, which I'm now questioning, (I know...I know, Brookster) I noticed that it has a center support piece, which is good, but it makes the center of the tank higher than the sides. The lfs guy was so confused about what I was trying to describe over the phone. Here's a pic. I measured and the middle is a half inch higher than both sides because of that support board. I searched online and found a pic of another stand exactly like mine that built the same way. Someone please tell me why this is ok before I take this thing back tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3843.JPG
    IMG_3843.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 46
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_3845.JPG
    IMG_3845.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3844.JPG
    IMG_3844.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 53
A stand made of 3/4 ply would readily support a 75 gallon tank if built properly. No 2x4 are needed just easy for most DIY people to use.

We've already been back and forth in this thread over this, so stick meet beaten horse, however needless to say I disagree entirely with that statement. Not only are you incorrect, you are majorly incorrect.

My personal opinion that is not good. The majority of the load in a square tank lands at each of the four corners, imo they need to be level. I'd be concerned over it being out 1/8 of an inch, 1/2 inch is huge. Unless there is a factor here I'm unaware of in the stands design.

Imo.. Looks like they ran out of material before lunch break.. I wouldn't serve beers to my friends on that. It's has not bones... All facade

I scanned the bar code and it's an Aqueon stand. Boy, you think you know somebody. I feel like one of those suckers that are born everyday. I paid waaaaaay too much for this stand to have even the slightest doubt its abilities. He argued that the tank had been sitting on the stand for a while in his shop and was fine. I told him that sure it was fine, it was friggin empty. He said he'd sold hundreds of those exact setups over the years never had issues. It goes against everything I know to have an uneven platform. I am beyond frustrated.

Wood looks nice..certainly can be beefed up. That what I would do.

Imo.. Looks like they ran out of material before lunch break.. I wouldn't serve beers to my friends on that. It's has not bones... All facade

Lol...what else does it need? Reviews on this stand are actually good. It looks minimal, but doable once I even it up. But then based on my assumptions so far, what the heck do I know. The design can't be that bad, can it?

Do I sound desperate yet?

My sweet goldfish are getting impatient. They keep looking at the great big tank...then back at me...then back at the great big tank...

Back
Top Bottom