Will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've tried this before.Your best bet is to remove the impeller and NOT plug in the filter that the water will go through first.Using both motors just doesn't work well.This makes for a very good biological filter and will work well,the draw back will be is if the filter the first one will be able to be opened and cleaned easily.Keeping it clean and leaving your second filter closed will help keeping your good bacteria strong.Although if a disease breaks out you have to tear them both apart and clean.I'll advise as others to use the both independently.For me this is the fun part about aquarium keeping is building and tring your own ideas.

Hmmmm..... Food for thought! How long did you run that setup?

I hadf it like that for a little over a year.Worked pretty good,Just didn't think it was practical having to break down first filter and clean.I still have the same second filter in use as a biological still and it has not been opened since I started using it almost three years ago.Instead of the first filter I now use a modified to fit easy to clean sponge filter.When flow slows its time to rinse the sponge.

I hadf it like that for a little over a year.Worked pretty good,Just didn't think it was practical having to break down first filter and clean.I still have the same second filter in use as a biological still and it has not been opened since I started using it almost three years ago.Instead of the first filter I now use a modified to fit easy to clean sponge filter.When flow slows its time to rinse the sponge.

I have very poopy fish- I'm lucky to 3 months without cleaning my canisters, I can't imagine the state they'd be in after 3 years! Lol

I see this working, thinking if i would try something like this i would make the first canister higher then the second once and not have the first one pluged in. This will allow gravity to help move the water if this makes any sense

Back
Top Bottom