Wiring info on 3 piece VHO end caps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok...i admit i havent really looked at them to closely but i didnt see wiring instructions so i figured id research for info before getting ready to doing it
I did see a wiring diagram on the ballast but nothing on the end caps.
Does anyone have any instructions....docs or links to share :)

3-piece VHO end caps?

The way mine were, it had two purple wires running all the way to the ends, one on each side each of two end caps, and another wire connecting the two end caps. The same is done with the opposite endcaps, but has shorter wires as they're closer to the actual ballast...

What brand is it? Maybe I can find you a diagram.

Here's my ballast with a 3-bulb setup:
http://www.icecapinc.com/660-3.htm

Here's my current setup:
http://www.icecapinc.com/660-4.htm

...again, like I said, let me know the brand and I'll try my best to help. :)

here is what i got:

* ARO brand AS-220 VHO ballast, will power up to 220W or two 48" bulbs! This ballast will not run bulbs longer than 48".
* Designed to power two VHO lamps.
* Add additional supplemental lighting to your aquarium, or upgrade to Very High Output lighting for a fraction of the cost of purchasing a new system.
* Highly efficient electronic ballast, no annoying hum like other magnetic ballasts.
* Small compact design.
* Wiring diagram on the ballast.
* Model #AS-220
Note: For maximum longevity and safety, wire ballast away from heat or humidity sources.
* Do NOT use 60" or 72" bulbs, as this will fail the ballast and void warranty.
* Warranty: 5 Years

ARO AS-220 Ballast Specs
Maximum Power: 220 Watts
Maximum Current: 1.82 AMP (120vac)
Operating Voltage: 120 VAC 10%
Black, White Wires: 18" Long From Case
Red, Blue, Yellow, Brown Wires: 18" Long From Case
Ballast Case Size: Long Case - 9 3/4"L x 1 5/8"W x 1 1/8"H
Ballast Weight: 18.5 OZ
High Power Factor: > .90
Ballast Min. Operating Temp.: -20 F (-30 C)
Ballast Maximum case Temp. : 158 F (70 C)
Ballast Lamp Starting Mode: Raid Start (better than Instant Start for the bulbs)
Class P (Thermal) Sound Rating - A
End of Life Protection: No EOL Circuit

Detailed Description

Included in Ballast Kit:
* Electronic VHO Raw Ballast ~Dimensions: 11 3/4"(L) x 3W) x 2H)
*2 pairs of high quality, 3 piece, moisture proof, German made endcaps complete with standoffs for mounting.
* Power Cord:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/lamps-now_1850_816116

There's a picture of the ballast. It has the wiring diagram on it. Looks overly complicated by it really isn't. Looks the same as mine rigged up to only two bulbs:
http://www.icecapinc.com/660-2.htm

You might also take notice of this: * Note: Wire Harness will only work with Hellolights.com VHO ballasts. They will NOT work with other manufacturers ballsts OR our ARO AS-220 VHO raw ballast. -- if you picked up the 3-piece VHO endcaps from Hellolights.

Might spell bad news :(

Ahah! I have those. :) Unscrew them completely. The center piece pops out, you'll be able to run the wires through the bottom of the main piece, and into a metal holding piece inside the center piece. If that makes any sense :-|

They're fairly simple, and the metal holding device holds the wires quite well.

To further explain how to get the center piece out so you can mount your wires - after unscrewing the two pieces that will hold the bulb in place and prevent moisture -- the center piece can be remove by pressing slightly down, and pulling out from the top. It simply pops into place.

Hope this helps!! :)

ok....figured it out but need to get wire cause the wires on the ballast are too short.
Wheres the best location for the ballast?

Best location for the ballast? I mounted mine to one side of the back of the canopy so its in free air -- with the wires mounted neatly inside. :) I have a quick disconnect from the powerline close to the ballast so if I ever need to remove the canopy I dont have to worry about digging through plugs to unplug things..

just wondering where is the best place that has absolutely no chance to ever getting wet...wonder is I should make or look for some type of housing for it
I have a spot on the back of the hood but like you said....its open and more or less directly over the overflows....not sayin they splash water but you never know and an ballast is not something you take lightly around water
Im goin to look at HD or maybe bend a plate of metal to clamp around it the same way they do on a NO fixure...where the basslast in the middle and covered by the metal plate

My ballast has a huge metal heat-sink type thing attached to its underside coming out on both sides. Course there's not splashing hang-ons anymore... place it away from any splash. You should be peachy now. :)

G'luck!

Back
Top Bottom