Woukd this sock be acting as a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I was cyclein my fresh water aquarium I added too much peat to my filter and because it was already wet I didn't want to re added it. To the box and I didn't want to throw it away, so I put it in a clean sock and threw it in the tank. Also I put the bio max in my filter and closed it and discover I left out about 20 so I threw that in the sock as well. I seeded my tank and I managed to find this plastic from the inside of my mums filter I didn't want to put that in the filter so I put that in the sick as well.
Would the sock be acting as a filter as well? The sock is about the size of a small filter.

The sock may have some bacteria growing on it so as the bacteria grow they will consume some of the nitrogenous waste (ammonia) in your tank, but if the water is not passing directly through the sock I don't think that it is making a huge difference. It will be like having a decoration in your tank, it will have bacteria on it, but when compared to a filter it won't be as efficient as the filter.

Are you talking about a sock like the kind you wear on your foot? Might have detergent residue that could leech into the tank, or other non-aquarium friendly contaminants.

Sorry I mean ladies tights(never been washed in a machine only hand washed in old tank water.) It has the fluval 405 current going overt the top of it

Oh ok. It might be acting as some form of filtration media, but it would be much more efficient if it were in a closed system with no bypassing water flow.

Well it sounds good to me. I have a small fluval the internal one. I'll see if I can fit some of it in there. I know it doesn't make a huge difference but it help a little.
I'd rather have something that does a little then have nothing that does nothing. :)

I'm just wondering would java moss grow of the tights?

Sorry I thought I uploaded a picture this is what it looks like.

image-2692602546.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom