Would these tanks be ok on the second floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCP-079

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I'm new so I'm not 100% sure where to put this question, but I figured I could put it here. I apologize in advance if it's the wrong section.

So, I recently got back into fishkeeping but the problem is that I moved upstairs into the second floor of my house and I'm really paranoid about keeping multiple tanks up here.

I ordered a 20g tall, which I'm going to set up soon. I know a 20g will be fine but I also have a 36g bowfront that I'd like to keep upstairs.

My house is pretty old, it was built in the early 1900s I think? I looked up other threads with this topic and people were asking about keeping 100-200 gallon tanks upstairs so the answers weren't very accurate compared to what I want to do.
I don't want anything that heavy, I just want two or possibly even three 10-20 gallons in my room eventually and maybe my 36g if it's not too heavy. I'm just a huge fan of fish and I'd really like to have multiple tanks.

Should I ask a professional before I put more tanks in my room? Or is it fine as long as I put the tanks in separate areas?

I'm just super paranoid and I'd like to see what other people think before I call anyone to come take a look.

Thanks guys!

There is a good table of aquarium weights here: https://www.thespruce.com/aquarium-sizes-and-weights-1380694

I'm willing to bet your floors, unless riddled with dry rot, could handle anything up to 40 gallons easily. 20s should be no problem unless the floor is totally unsafe. Do your floors feel solid as you walk on them? Is there any noticeable sag or groaning noises from bending?

When you install your tanks, try to place them across the floor joists, in order to spread the weight out as much as possible.

If you have serious doubts, hiring a certified engineer to look at your floors is not a bad idea.

Old stick built homes are built pretty strong. You will have creeks, and squeaks, do to the nails in the boards of the floor. I'd check your floor with a few jumps or bounces. If you can feel the floor sink, than don't do it. But, if not than I'd just get a good stand ( try to stay away from a stand with legs) with strait flat to the floor bottom. Think u'll be fine. Your house most likely has a basement. It ain't no different that your main floor on top of that. Just my thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 36g should not weigh much over 300 lbs filled.
I would say you should have no concern...
Think of all the heavy things "normal' people have like a fridge, bathtub or waterbed....
I have had a 135g on a second floor apartment back in the day with a 100g to hold the feeders !:eek:
My biggest concern is always where or what I will be spilling water on when doing tank maintenance !:nono:

If the floors were not safe enough to accommodate a 36g tank, then you have a lot more to worry about than a fish tank. You will be fine.

Thank you very much to everyone who responded!
My floors are a little creeky but as I said my house is super old so it's pretty much creeky everywhere. In the kitchen, livingroom, stairs, etc.

I appreciate your help, guys. I feel a lot better about it now; I was just super paranoid. I'll do a little checking near the spots I want to put my tanks and ask my mom's friend, who's a carpenter, before I make my final decision.

Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom