Would this be sufficient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 26 gallon bowfront that is currently running a Aquaclear 50 for filtration - I found a good deal on an eheim canister filter but it is only rated for up to 35 gallons at 106gph - would it still be just as good or even better than the hob I've got now? (Since it would have more filter surface area and volume) or do you think it would be a noticable decrease in filtration?

Btw - tank is stocked with 3 swordtails, 1 platy, 1 dwarf gourami, and 10 or so swordtail fry (not keeping all the fry)

You're very lightly stocked, so I'm sure it would work fine for you. Many of us with average stocked tanks go for filters at twice the capacity of the tank.

I have a 26 gallon bowfront that is currently running a Aquaclear 50 for filtration - I found a good deal on an eheim canister filter but it is only rated for up to 35 gallons at 106gph - would it still be just as good or even better than the hob I've got now? (Since it would have more filter surface area and volume) or do you think it would be a noticable decrease in filtration?

Btw - tank is stocked with 3 swordtails, 1 platy, 1 dwarf gourami, and 10 or so swordtail fry (not keeping all the fry)

Hello Rinzy...

Canister filters are expensive, probably $80.00 compared to about $30.00 for similar sizes and require more time and effort to service. For the average tank keeper, I don't think it's worth the added cost. Your Aquaclear 50 is sufficent for your 26 G as long as you're removing and replacing at least half the water in the tank every week.

If you've gotten a great deal on the canister, maybe you'll want to go for it. But I don't think the canister filter is two and a half times better than the Aquaclear HOB.

Just an old school, water keeper's opinion.

B

The thing is, I've also got a 20 gallon that is running a crappy aqueon quiet flow filter that I want to replace - I wanted to put an aquaclear on there - then saw the ad for the canister filter - a brand new still in box eheim ecco 2232 for $55. So I thought I could just put my existing aquaclear that's on my 26 gallon on the 20 gal and use the canister on the 26 - but I don't want to add it if it won't be sufficient filtration for the tank - (I will be adding more fish later on)

Back
Top Bottom