Would this work for a 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mespock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was thinking of getting a 55 gallon tank to replace my 20 gallon tank seen in the attached photo. Would the bureau in the attached photo be able to hold the weight of thr 55 gallon tank?

Attachments

• 20221109_104254.jpg
    20221109_104254.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 24
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If it's built from solid wood and not chipboard or MDF, then it will hold more weight than if it's made from chipboard or MDF. If you get 3 or 4 adults to sit on the cabinet and it holds them easily, then it should take the weight of a 55 gallon tank.

Bear in mind that should you decide to use normal furniture to handle an aquarium and that furniture fails as a result of prolonged accidental water spills and/or just the sheer weight of the aquarium, it is very unlikely that the warranty on the aquarium will be honoured if it gets broken and your home contents insurance are unlikely to pay for damages to the piece of furniture, flooring and anything else that gets damaged.

Read the small print on your contents insurance or call your insurer before going for a larger aquarium with normal household furniture cos if the aquarium does go and it takes everything around it too, you will be out of pocket for what could be very expensive repairs to your home

I wouldnt put anything heavier than 20g on something not specifically built to hold it.

To add to this, you have to consider the bracing of the furniture you are wanting to use. They are not designed to hold aquariums on them so unless you hit the bracing spots correctly, especially on a larger aquarium, you risk either the tank cracking or the furniture breaking.

Thanks for the good advice. The finalize piece is very solid but I know it's no designed for the weight of a 55 gal tank. I wa hoping to be able to use it but I'm thinking not.

probably would be okay but depends on the build quality of the cabinet. it looks like it should be able to hold more weight than that

Back
Top Bottom