xp1000s skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got one of these the other day. My old skimmer quit. It has the bubble blaster 1000 pump on it. It is on day 3 right now of running and is already making skimmate, however the pump is very loud. I have tried looking around and can't really find anything out. It is coming from the motor block and sounds like just a loud pump, no grinding sound or anything. Does anyone have this pump and know anything?

Venturi style skimmer pumps are a little noisier than others but still shouldn't be too loud. I would contact Reef Octopus and see what they have to say about this model. It could be because the pump is housed in the bottom of the skimmer. Not sure.

It's on the outside. Even for breaking in, it is very very loud.

It's a hob octopus. Works great except for the awful noise.

Is it the pump itself making the noise or maybe the vibration of the pump against the tank or skimmer making the noise? I've never used a HOB skimmer so I don't experience with them. I did some reading on the new XP1000 with the pump inside the bottom of the skimmer.

It is the pump itself. I just took it apart to see if any foreign material was in it and it was a clean as a whistle. Oddly, after putting it back together, it got quieter. It now sounds like louder than normal motor hum. The pump does not get hot and it really makes the bubbles. I have read that at first these pumps are about unbearable while breaking in, then they quieten down. I sure hope this is the case.

I have had this thing breaking in for a few days now and after taking it apart and using a tissue to clean the inside out. It has quitened down a little. I contacted coralvue and was told to put a valve on the air inlet and that should help even more. I also asked about setting the level because using the gate valve is pretty much useless. Once the level hits the bottom of the cup, it races and overflows. The guy there said the air valve will give precise control over the level. My question is, wouldn't restricting the air defeat some of the efficiency?

Back
Top Bottom