Yet again...another darn lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK....uurrggg
what to go with...unfortantely I have a custom hood and would like to go with lights that take up the least amount of space. I personally dont like the open tank look and like the hood but it maybe too small and I may have to mod it to alow more room.
I know I dont want MH....too hot and I dont feel I need to go with something that intense...not to meantion too darn expensive for just one
My question is should I go with small PC like 24 " and have the same amount of both sides? or go with the longer 96 watt ones (which i think are 48 " long) but will the bulbs have a problem staying in the socket? or will I have to tie or clip them?
VHO is the other option but I will have to go with 4 tubes ..how close can you mount the VHO tubes? Is it best to have dual ballast?
suggestions anyone?

I myself like VHO's. Everyone has their own opinion regarding VHO vs. PC vs. T5.
I have VHO's myself and couldnt be happier with them, not to mention bulbs are alot cheaper than PC's. but then again they need to be replaced a little sooner than PC's.

for VHO 24"=75watts, 36"=95watts and 48"=110watts.
as far as a ballast goes I have the IceCap 660 and you can run 2 or 4 bulbs at a time. You can also run VHO's or T5's on this ballast depending on the endcaps you get. I have mine mounted with about 1 1/4" between bulbs.

From what I've heard, T5s last longer and are even cheaper than VHO's. I'm thinking of trying them myself next bulb change around to see whats best for me.

What ever you choose its better than regular NO lighting

HTH

yes ur right....im thinkin pound for pound the VHO is the better choose.
PC the highest watts is 96...and the 48" VHO is 110.
I think I will go with dual ballast to allow for the whole affect thing alot with my moon lights
thanks for replying

you can put more t5 in less space....I had 6 vho tubes across the top of my 150, but there was ZERO room on either side. I had to move the lights to feed etc. I am thinking about trying the odyssea t5 setups on a 55 gallon tank I have, I can get 216 watts in an 8 inch width for around 125. including shipping.

I have mh, vho and pc lights on assorted tanks, I am interested in testing the t5's.

I think i plan to get 2 retro kits with dual VHOs
I currently have 4 NO lights now and the VHO shouldnt take up any more psace then those

since u have all 3...which do u like the best? for reef/community fish setup

I really do NOT like the PC. The VHO give a nice soft color to the tank, but if I could afford it, all of the tanks would have MH. The light is crisp, the ripples you can see give an awesome effect and there is no worries about not having enough light. No worries about too much either, as long as you place rock in a manner you have shaded areas.

the issue i have with MH other then the cost is the heat....
thanks for the info though - seems everyone praises PC and I dont seem to agree

The heat is going to be an issue with the VHO as well, only not to the same degree.
I have heard the t5's are the coolest bulbs.

I have had VHO's before and never had a heat issue....When the bulbs are on you can almost touch them. T5HO's are suppose to be very good lighting for reefs....and you can pack them into any hood or canopy.

Back
Top Bottom