Your opinion on a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, I have to have a filter. The reason Im even setting up a tank is because the angel I gave to my neighbors to take care of for me (that neon eater :p ) is being attacked by their blacktip sharks. I havent seen white clouds for sale in georgia anyway.

With the AC filters you have foam to hold the bacteria. The Penguin/Emperor uses the bio-wheel. AC filters have reusable foam for mechanical filtration. The P/E filters use a cartridge that is replaced once a month or so. So the maker says. I save money by using a old cartridge frame and replaced the media with filter floss. Works better than a new one.

Since I need a filter with a long intake tube....(many of you strongly object)......I'll get an Aquaclear....What size should I get.....Take into consideration that I am 14 yrs old and my mom is buying this and all the other equipment I own was bought by her........(Im in so much debt already :wink: )

Can I ask the advantage of a long intake tube? Is it because your tank is high? Would a long intake tube be good for a regualr 20 gallon? Pardon the stupidity, but Im new to all of this!

Hi, I am Aqua Clear all the way. I have a 200 on my 25, it came with that as a complete kit. If I were to have bought one it would have been the 300 for this tank.

But I have never had any problems with any of my AC filters, they even still have the main parts from day one. My 25 gal is 15 yrs old now.

As for the basket and the over flow, when you go to put in the basket after cleaning etc make sure your water flow is turned to the low side. In other words if you are looking at it make sure it is all the way to the right side, that slows down the water flow. Once it is in place return it to the left side for max water flow.

AC filters let you put in more media like already mentioned, another thing you can do to extend the intake is to put two intakes together. I have done this and it works okay.

If you ever have any baby fry in the tank, take a Aquar Clear "mini" foam for the mini filters, cut a hole in the middle deep enough to fit over the intake stem and it still filters great but does not suck up baby fry :wink:

Good luck in which ever you choose....bugsy :D

extension tubes

They do make extension tubes for penquin filters.I picked one up at my lps. It is made by marineland.The one I have is for a penguin 170.It has a 3/4 inch diameter and should also fit model 125. I personally would look into a cannister filter.I've had bad results with the penguin filters.The design of the aquaclear is better.The media is placed in a horizontal position as opposed to an inefficient vertical cartridge in the penguin line.

Back
Top Bottom