-Zoo med light Vs. others - & - PFS Vs. Black Diamond-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

which light fixture do you think is better for 46G Bow front?

• Odyssea 36" 117W T5 HO Trio Deluxe Light Fixture w/Built-in Digital Timer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Odyssea 36" 78W T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 36-Inch

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other... (link)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Xand3r

Aquarium Advice Activist
-Zoo med light Vs. Odyssea - & - PFS Vs. Black Diamond-

As I have mentioned in other threads, I'm in the process of setting up a 46 G Bow front. At first I wanted to keep the stock light and later get a new HO fixture, but I am afraid that my plants will start to dye, so I decided to get the light.
I've been doing a lot of research about some "cheap" lights, I saw several on ebay (which I'm not sure how good they are) and a couple on amazon.

Basically I'm looking for a 36" T5 HO light (39 watt X2)

from the dozens of lights I have seen I have only heard of Zoo med
Amazon.com: Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 36-Inch: Pet Supplies

Has anyone tried this: [url=http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-2x39W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52122p.htm]Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting [/URL] or these Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting
So I was wondering if you could help me find a good and inexpensive light.
Some pictures and comments about your set up will be appreciated.

Also what are your comments on PFS and black diamond blasting media. (the money i was going to spend in expensive sand at the LFS, I'm going to spend it in a new light.)

Do you think that my plants (low light plants) will be alright with the stock light? I believe the light is a T8 ~ 36- 40 watts.

Once again pictures of your set up and comments are appreciated. :thanks:

Last edited:
Well not sure this will help. I have a 75g and use a Solarmax Xtreme 4bulb T5 HO with 8 moonlight LED's. It's a 48" 2 blues and 2 10k daylights. A bit over board but I like it and don't keep the lights on for no more then 4-5 hours a day. Sometimes less.

All I have as far as real plants are Anubias

View attachment 65411

Last edited:
I saw those on amazon, but they don't have any good pictures, so that's why I didn't mention those, how long have you had your fixture?
I think I'm getting the Odyssea fixture, I've seen some (6-7) good reviews about them and they also have moonlight LEDs. plus the timer option looks pretty cool.
If I get that I can get either one with 3 6700K bulbs (but I will only be using two) or one with 2 10000K and one actinic blue (I know this is for sw systems but I thought that I could run the daylight bulbs for about 8 hrs. and then the actinic blue, but I wonder if the blue light is going to increase the algae).
are those live plants?

Thanks for your reply and the picture, I'm trying to decide what to do in the tank so pictures really help.

Xand3r said:
I saw those on amazon, but they don't have any good pictures, so that's why I didn't mention those, how long have you had your fixture?
I think I'm getting the Odyssea fixture, I've seen some (6-7) good reviews about them and they also have moonlight LEDs. plus the timer option looks pretty cool.
If I get that I can get either one with 3 6700K bulbs (but I will only be using two) or one with 2 10000K and one actinic blue (I know this is for sw systems but I thought that I could run the daylight bulbs for about 8 hrs. and then the actinic blue, but I wonder if the blue light is going to increase the algae).
are those live plants?

Thanks for your reply and the picture, I'm trying to decide what to do in the tank so pictures really help.

Well I went overboard, it's a very strong light and is made for SW. And because it's so strong that's why it's not on for long but then again the light is just for you anyway. The fish don't need it. Now the plants do. I use the blue lights because I like the look and when I have company over its just a awesome look.

This also has the digital timer for all different modes. Blue,daylight,both or moonlight. The only thing is to turn moonlight off you have to shut down the light completely. I like it better then any light I have tried and I went through I bunch! Returning them as I went. It was trial and error. I have bad OCD so I had to see each light on the tank before making my decision. It's a matter of what you need as far as function and the. What you like.

This is just the blue
View attachment 65415

And this is the moonlight

View attachment 65415

View attachment 65416

Last edited:
The blue and daylight lights look pretty cool at the same time. Since you can get any bulb between 5000 and 10000 K for plants, and I only plan to use two bulbs at the same time I think I'm getting the one that comes with the blue bulb. I really like the look of FW tanks with only the daylights, but I have to admit that with the blue they look better. I wonder if that's going to be to bright for my rams....

Back
Top Bottom