10 Gallon Low Tech Photo Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-cubed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was encouraged to present a Photo Journal of my new tank, so here goes.

I am returning to aquariums after about 20 years. I used to have a 55, a 29 and a 20L aquarium. After a heater got stick in the "on" position and I lost my breeding pair of Discus, I lost interest, and as fish died in the other tanks, I took them down. I have a 90 gallon tank I never set up that I bought about this time. Maybe someday I will set that up of I find a place.

My new tank is a tiny little 10 gallon tank, just 10x20x12 inches. This will be a rather low tech tank, packed with plants and a very limited number of species of fish. The lights I am using at this time are 2 13w CFLs that are "full spectrum" lights from Sylvania. I bought these at a local "big box" home store and were the only full spectrum CF lights I could find that would fit the hood. A little research showed that the color temperature is 5000K. As a photographer I know that sunlight is about 5300K so I am hoping these will work for this little tank with the plants I intend on growing. (I am open to suggestion but don't want to replace the hood and go to any great expense for this little tank.)

I spent a couple of weeks going to several local fish stores looking for nicely shaped wood (and dreaming of plants and fish) that I could prepare for my tank. I ended up with one larger piece that has a great hole in the middle and a couple of nice branches pointing out, on "L" shaped with a point coming forward in the tank. A second piece is oddly shaped with three spikes that were going to be used a a little tripod to make a cave underneath. It did not look great this way, so it was placed in a different manner with the larger piece leaning up on it. A longer log in front is used as a sort of a dam to hold the deeper gravel toward the back. Another smaller piece on the left serves the same purpose, and one last small piece is merely an anchor for a 3 inch rhizome Java Fern 'Windeløv' start that has 5 leaves over a foot long! (It does not fit my tank and is not very good looking, so I am hoping new leaves will be smaller and better looking if and when it starts growing again.) Yes, I boiled all the wood and scrubbed them with a lean nylon brush, then soaked them too.

All my gravel was recycled from one of my old tanks. (Never throw out anything! LOL) I washed, and washed and washed and boiled it, then put about 1" mixed with laterite for the bottom layer adding another 2" or so of gravel on top of that. Before placing the wood in the tank I tied three bunches of Narrow Leaf Java Fern and two starts of Anubias barteri v. nana 'Petite' and a small bit of Java Moss on one of the points. I also have the world's smallest start of Christmas Moss attached to one of the points sticking out to the front of the aquarium. (When I was at my local fish store, they were stocking one of their display tanks with several pieces of Christmas Moss. A tiny half inch piece had fallen on the counter, so I requisitioned what would have been wiped off the counter and thrown away. We shall see of it ever amounts to anything!)

I then spent a few hours trying to position the wood on a pleasing fashion and when I was happy I filled the tank, turned on the power filter and heater and waited. And while waiting I decided that there ware too few plants with nothing in the bottom at all, so I visited my local fish store and bought some plants. I got the huge and not too attractive Java Fern 'Windeløv' and a small piece of wood to mount it on (so I could move it around). I wanted a small plant, but this is what they had, so I got it hoping I could get some adventurous starts off it, which I did. Also got the Anubias barteri v. nana 'Petite' and attached that to the front of one of the pieces of wood, some Dwarf Baby Tears for the front (I need more but the store is out), and a small growing Sword Plant (Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'). I also got a nice Crinum calamistratum that is planted in the back on the right. I could not resist this plant and hope it does well.

I have a Merimo Ball too that you can see on the right.

I still need more plants in the front and will put in much more Dwarf Baby Tears when the store gets more in a couple of weeks. I am also tempted by something I have not seen before. It is called Lilaeopsis nova "mini", or "Mini Micro Swords". This is much smaller than the regular Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) and is less than an inch tall. It is sold growing on a piece of stainless steel mesh that is about 2x3 inches. I was told it came from Takashi Amano in Japan by way of a broker in San Francisco. I can not find anything about this plant (would welcome information), but I am sorely tempted to get a piece and see how it does.

I want another rosette plant or two, something with some color or variegation for the right side, and I can't seem to find any Corkscrew Val that I would like to put at the back. Would also like to try a piece or three of Pogostemon helferi but can not find that either.

Yesterday I was at my local fish store and they had a tank of 1.5 inch Albino Bushynose specially priced at $6 each. One fish in the tank was a long fined version, and knowing that was a choice fish that should sell for a lot more, I made them chase that one down. So I have one fish in the tank now! I hope I did not make a mistake by getting a fish so early, but I could not resist. (The white thing on the left is a piece of zucchini.)

In the end this tank will have only Cardinal Tetras and some Cory habrosis and the Bushynose. Maybe when the tank water is old and comfortable I will add a pair of German Blue Rams.

I welcome your thoughts. More photos well follow... I am a photographer so a lot more photos may follow!

E-cubed

attachment.php

I wanted to thank all three of you for your kind appreciation and remarks.

I have moved one plant and added another expensive addition! The little grass in the foreground is called "Lilaeopsis nova 'mini'", and is different from the normal micro-sword being much smaller. Nobody seems to have heard of this before and the 2 inch square cost $16.99! I got this at a local pet store that is always very well stocked, very knowledgeable and trustworthy. I was told this came Japan (through a broker in San Francisco) and is one of Takashi Amano's discoveries.

The tank is still cycling... and I still want more plants including something red or reddish, something for the middle that will stay rather small and do well in a lower light situation being shaded by the driftwood. And I want a single plant of Downoi, but I can't find any! Suggestions on where I might find just a single plant would make me very grateful!

E-cubed

e-cubed-albums-e-cubed-aquarium-picture1196-8140089-w600.jpg

Looking nice. I'd recommend spliting out the individual plants in your foreground plant and planting them evenly across the entire area that you want carpeted. This will allow it to spead faster and grow in more evenly.

As far as Downoi, I'd recommend looking up Lowcoaster on Aquabid. While you'll probably get a few stems instead of just one, his quality is very high and prices very reasonable. You can also get on his email list instead of ordering through Aquabid.

Thanks Joy, but I was warned specifically not to do that by the plant expert at my local store! The plant is growing extremely intertwined on/in a very heavy stainless steel screen and trying to extract it will utterly destroy the plant. Cutting the screen is also out of the question. I was told to plant it slightly under the sand or small gravel and to sprinkle some gravel on top, working it into the plant just enough to hide the stainless steel. I am advised the plant will spread rapidly after it settle in. I believe I will follow the advice of the experts in the store since I can't fine reference to this new plant anywhere in books or on the Internet. (I do agree though and would if I could, but I can't so I won't.)

E-cubed

The plant is growing extremely intertwined on/in a very heavy stainless steel screen and trying to extract it will utterly destroy the plant.

In that case completely disreguard my previous advice. With it growing on a screen I wouldn't have separated it out either.

As far as Downoi, I'd recommend looking up Lowcoaster on Aquabid. While you'll probably get a few stems instead of just one, his quality is very high and prices very reasonable. You can also get on his email list instead of ordering through Aquabid.

I forgot to thank you for this hint! :D I have sent Lowcoaster an email.

In that case completely disreguard my previous advice. With it growing on a screen I wouldn't have separated it out either.

Very good advice, but I simply can't do it. :-|

I did take the tiny little pot of Dwarf Baby's Tears, removed the rock wool and "spiraled out" the plant to about a 4 inch strip and planted that on the left side. I need one or two more of these and will do the same thing. So you see, we are on the same page!

Thanks again! :D

Well, I added a couple of plants and the long piece of driftwood at the front lost its top portion that was just about to come off anyway. So, I added some more Java Fern which is tied to a piece of wood, needle leaf this time on the left.

I also added some more Dwarf Baby's Tears on the left. The new plants were put through an alum bath, and the Baby's Tears look bleached in comparison to the plant put in last week. Did I damage the plant with the bath, or is the older one greener because the new tank was cycling through a nitrogen cycle? Time will tell I suppose...

Also on display now is the red plant in the center, some sort of Echinodorus I believe, but the type is unknown to me.

I have a few more plants on order for what will be an over planted tank. :D I am considering some Susswassertang, but know nothing about it. Plus I need some red plants, perhaps a stem plant, but it seems from what I read that most of the red ones need CO2. I need something red, easy, and feathery in texture and would gladly take suggestions!

I can't wait (but will) for this tank to settle in. Looking for a school of Cory habrosus. (My local fish store had these about three weeks ago and I hope they get more soon.) Also I believe I will have a school of Ember Tetras, rather than the Cardinal Tetras I had planned on. That will be all I have in this tank for quite some time.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

e-cubed-albums-e-cubed-aquarium-picture1224-8180104-f-w.jpg

So, I added some more Java Fern which is tied to a piece of wood, needle leaf this time on the left.

Everything looks to be coming along quite nicely.

I don't see anything that looks like Needle Leaf Java Fern though. The Java Fern on the left looks like it could be Narrow Leaf, but not narrow enough to be Needle Leaf, unless it's hiding behind another plant? The leaves of the Needle Leaf Java Fern which I have are only 1/4" wide. The Narrow Leaf Java Fern has leaves which are closer to 1/2-3/4" wide.

Everything looks to be coming along quite nicely.

I don't see anything that looks like Needle Leaf Java Fern though. The Java Fern on the left looks like it could be Narrow Leaf, but not narrow enough to be Needle Leaf, unless it's hiding behind another plant? The leaves of the Needle Leaf Java Fern which I have are only 1/4" wide. The Narrow Leaf Java Fern has leaves which are closer to 1/2-3/4" wide.

Well the plant on the left, the store had these labeled as "Needle Leaf" and they are indeed narrower than what I got that was called "Narrow leaf" which I ordered from that international supplier on eBay and Aquabid. The narrow leaf is about the size you suggest, and the plants are less mature. The "needle leaf" (or whatever it is) have leaves about 8 inches long and at the widest point of one leaf is ½" wide, most in the range of ¼" or a little more. Interesting, the "Windeløv" start I have that supposedly never gets over about 6" tall has leaves that are about 10"! It looks pretty bad and is in tha back, waiting for adventurous plantlets and new growth before I cut the old huge leaves.

Would love to try a tiny start of a really narrow leaf Java Fern though. :smilecolros:

Well, if it is indeed Needle Leaf Java Fern, be warned that it is very good at trying to take over aquariums. It's doing an excellant job of trying to fill the back of my 10 gallon aquarium. The last time I took it out for a bowl show, it FILLED the 6 gallon bowl that it was placed in. Gorgeous plant that is perfectly proportioned to make smaller aquariums look huge.

Well, I guess I am still searching for a needle leaf then. I love Java Fern and want them all! And if they get too big, I will cut them back. Plus, I expect to set up my 90 eventually, so I will have some stock to use there.

Thank you once again.

Another image & more plants

It seems that any idea of "Aquascaping" is out the window. The collector instinct has bitten as I get more and more plants! I have a few more starts coming from a new friend here, and from a dealer in Salem, Oregon, just down the road. Here is my tank this morning. (I really want some fish but will wait untill I have all my plants in place.)

17923-albums190-picture1248.jpg

Plus I need some red plants, perhaps a stem plant, but it seems from what I read that most of the red ones need CO2. I need something red, easy, and feathery in texture and would gladly take suggestions!
e-cubed-albums-e-cubed-aquarium-picture1224-8180104-f-w.jpg

I'm not sure if you can get these plants where you are, but if you can these are two red easy plants that have gone quite well in my low-light tank.

Branching Val :Vallisneria caulescens
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Vallisneria_caulescens.html

Crypt wendtii (red)
http://bayleesfishees.com/catalog/images/XL Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red.JPG

Back
Top Bottom