20 gallon blackwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfish1212

Aquarium Advice Activist
So. I've got a 55 gallon that I'm relocating the tetras currently in my 20 gallon-high to. I'm really tempted though to try out a blackwater set up with the old 20 gallon, as I've had it cycled for 7 years now and it seems a shame to take it down. It would just be driftwood, sand substrate, leaf litter, and a large java fern or two.

I was thinking doing a single GBR and a school of pygmy corydoras. How many pygmy corydoras would you suggest? Or something different? If you had a 20g high blackwater setup what fish would you use?

You can put a lot of pygmy cories in a 20g. They are very small; smaller than the nano fish in my blackwater tank. When I first got them they were a little more outgoing; now they tend to hide when I walk around the room. They have a lot of cover in the tank.
I can’t give advice on GBR or other cichlids.
I have a mix of several fish in my blackwater tank: Ember tetras, emerald Eye Rasboras, Forktail Furcata Rainbows, an Otocinclus, and the Pygmy cories (C. pygmaeus).

A single GBR would be perfectly fine with a school of Pygmy corys and would look great in a blackwater setup

Back
Top Bottom