29 gallon community tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpchick

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had goldfish in this tank - moved them out to the pond this spring. I let the plants recover, and turned on the heater.

29 gallon high, filtered by a Tetra Whisper EX45, and a Lustar hydro sponge pro 3, with gravel substrate. Plants include Amazon and ozelot sword (swords love this tank), contortion vals, retrospiralis crypt, a bunch of anubias (the anubias nana is putting out blooms), java fern, frogbit and salvinia minima. Very low tech tank.

Fish are cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras and male tuxedo guppies. It's a very peaceful and active tank.

What is the plant called that's got the skinny twisty leaves rite in the front of your tank

It looks like Crytocoryne balansae or C. retrospiralis

It's c. retrospiralis.

I love it. The leaves are green and then turn sort of a coppery color.

When I first planted it, it melted as a lot of crypts do, but really down to a nub just peeking out of the gravel. I wasn't sure it would make it.

But it sure did. One of my favorite plants.

Tank looks great! What light fixture are you using in there? I have a low light shrimp tank running with two types of moss and C. wendtii red and C. undulata. I have room for more, perhaps the retrospiralis would work.

I have two of the cheap work lights from the hardware store. The one over the right side of the tank has a 23w CFL in it, the one over the left (with the lower light plants) has a 13w CFL in it. Thye lights have clamps on them, and there's a shelf above the tank, so I can move the lights around on different days (or different parts of say) as I want.

I dose Seachem Flourish and API Leaf Zone alternately once a week. No glutaraldehyde.

I have two of the cheap work lights from the hardware store. The one over the right side of the tank has a 23w CFL in it, the one over the left (with the lower light plants) has a 13w CFL in it. Thye lights have clamps on them, and there's a shelf above the tank, so I can move the lights around on different days (or different parts of say) as I want.

I dose Seachem Flourish and API Leaf Zone alternately once a week. No glutaraldehyde.

Cool! That's a lot of light for not a lot of $. Nice balance of plants in the tank.

Here's a not quite FTS showing the lights above it. The thing I like about clamping them on the shelf is tha I can move them back and forth. (The right side has the 23w CFL over the swords and crypts.) I try to keep the java fern and most of the anubias more shaded.

Back
Top Bottom