29g Planted hex build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently received a 29g hexagon that my mother had when she was a child which puts it over 30 years old. Still, it's in pretty good condition other than needing to be resealed. The bottom is really strange though, it's textured sort of like a shower door would be :confused:

I currently have a 20g planted tank and am going to replace it with this new to me hex tank.

The current plans are to put in a DIY 3d background which is what I got started on today. It's a mess but here's where I am right now.

Sh1PFqN.jpg

I'm still adding more foam here and there until I'm happy with it so I am probably going to get started on cementing it tomorrow night or Wednesday afternoon.

Following. I am interesting in doing this as well but have no idea how to. Is that just regular styrofoam? What cement do you use?? What kind of paint/finish is aquarium safe?

Interested to see the outcome of that 3D background. Definitely gonna be a cool project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following. I am interesting in doing this as well but have no idea how to. Is that just regular styrofoam? What cement do you use?? What kind of paint/finish is aquarium safe?

Yes it's just regular styrofoam. I bought a pack of 1/2" think sheets for about $10 at home depot and that should be more than enough to do both my 55g and my hex tank.

Concrete - Supposedly any kind will work. I have heard it suggested to use hydraulic cement as it has less chance of cracking, but I have some random cement left over from setting a post for my mail box that I am gonna use.

There are cement dyes you can buy at the hardware store to color the background. For this I am just gonna go with plain cement. For paints, I'm not familiar with aquarium safe paints although I know there are quite a few out there.

I'm gonna be honest, I've been procrastinating because I didn't really know what I was going for and didn't wanna just completely screw everything up.

But today I just said "screw it" and went for it. It's honestly a lot easier to make it nice looking than I thought. I just went to town with a bread knife to shape it and a torch to soften it up and I am very pleased with how it looks now. I am gonna put the first coat of cement on in a few hours.

Just a word to the wise though, be sure to torch the styrofoam outside of the house. I did it inside even with good ventilation and it is not a happy feeling.

Some update pics to show what I did with it

9EAKcQ5.jpg

IioVesU.jpg

VflMt85.jpg

I am pretty sure I'm gonna add a bowl on the right side of the tank somewhere between halfway to 2/3 of the way up the side where I can grow a crypt or something higher up... just because I can :D

This is all I used to do it so far.

sDWmyFF.jpg

Really looking good Mebbid!

Thanks! :D

How about now?

eUVgeEg.jpg

Got my first coat of cement on there. It's a bit easier to visualize now :)

The next coat will probably be wednesday since I have 12 hour shifts in the ER over the next 2 days.

Looking even better! Have you had any progress since then?

Looking even better! Have you had any progress since then?

Yeppers! I got 1 more coat of cement to do tomorrow morning and then after it dries its going in the tank. Hopefully i will be able to fill it in 24 hours or so.

I have been considering the stock for a little while now and here is what im thinking:

1 - angel
6 - neon tetras
10 - Kuhli loaches
Lots - Neocardinia heteropoda shrimp

I wasnr able to get finished testerday :( it did a ton of raining at night and i of course left the background outside. It never dried off enough to finish up.

There are some straight lines that im hating on the background, but i am gonna try to fix them after i get done at the hospital.

What about black neons? No one rocks black neons..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What about black neons? No one rocks black neons..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My only problem with black neons is that there won't really be much for color. I have a white angel and some kuhli loaches whenever I can find them. That gives me black and white for colors.

I could throw some wild guppies in there though.. That might give a decent splash of color.

What do you guys think about substrate? Black diamond blasting sand, pool filter sand, or a white silica sand?

Back
Top Bottom