5 gallon Fluval Chi, my first tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarno

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It all started with a feeder fish my kids won at a carnival game.

I new nothing of fish care, so we kept this poor thing on a glass bowl with glass decorator beads, a single plastic plant, fed him 2 pellets and a micro pinch of flakes twice a day, changed his water on e a week using distilled h2o 100% change very time.

After a year of this I thought it would be nice to get a small tank and maybe some friends for him.

The 5 gallon Fluval Chi was the only tank my wife liked and would fit under the cabinet on the counter in the kitchen.

Bought the tank and started researching... How my poor fish survived the radical chemical shifts with 100% changes every week in less than 1 gallon of water I do not know.

To make a long story short(er), I now have a well cycled tank with a 3 inch Goldfish ( he really grew), 3 Otocinclus, 4 Loaches (3 clown and 1 Khuli).

Plants: one micro sword that I will shortly split due to growth, 1 one medium flame sword, a long stalked red sword, and the common viney stuff.

Scenery: Two pieces of drift wood and two pieces of fossil rock rest on top of a sand and gravel mixture.

As one might imagine I had some cycling problems until I used live bacteria (shipped direct with refrigeration). This really helped! I modified the top fountain to retain water so I could place plenty of biomedia on top, hidden by the zenish rocks.

3 months in and I have ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, pH from 6.7 to 7.0, Nitrate at 40 or less. I have been using mostly distilled H2O with some treated tap water when my pH is lower.

I made a decorative guard rail as I initially had some leaping loaches ( lost 2 Khulis). Originally used glass decorator beads for gravel, but lost 2 small loaches due to them getting stuck. No unmechanical deaths.

Thinking of adding a all school of neon Tetras for color. The Goldfish has not been eating anyone, but tetras are smaller than the other denizens.

Attachments

• image-379769861.jpg
    image-379769861.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 153
  • image-2070842503.jpg
    image-2070842503.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 165
  • image-147388111.jpg
    image-147388111.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 151
  • image-1147471303.jpg
    image-1147471303.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 179
  • image-2680071212.jpg
    image-2680071212.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 150
  • image-4048178820.jpg
    image-4048178820.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3644209035.jpg
    image-3644209035.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 144
I hate to say it but you are way overstocked already, adding to this tank is a bad idea. For one thing, a 5 gallon is too small for the goldfish alone. The general rule is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 more for each addition, and that is for fancies not the commons like yours. He will eventually need a huge tank or a pond, preferably. Also I believe your loaches are tropical not cold water like your goldfish. What temp is your tank? This may explain the loaches jumping. I believe the loaches will also need a very large tank as well.

This being said, I applaud you for improving the goldfish's living arrangements. A 5 gallon is still way too small for a Goldie but at least he has a little more room and some filtration. But he should be rehomed to a pond.

Hi and welcome to AA!
Nice little tank you have there. It's great you have your cycle under control!
I have to agree with alyxx. I would not add any more fish to your tank. Clown loaches can grow to the size of a foot ball and the preferred tank size is 125g+. The goldfish needs a pond ideally.

I must make a correction: all 4 of my Loaches are Khulies. Three are striped and one is dark. My understanding is their max size is about 4 inches and they are very skinny for this length, thus a lower bio load.

My temp has been @ 74 deg F. I installed a small heater and am now regulating at 78 deg F.

Thanks for the input. I am trying to convince my wife that we need a bigger tank for the prize feeder fish, but I will have to manicure his current home as best I can for now.

Oh and fixing another typo, it was 2 Ito cats that were stick in the glass beads, not Khulis.

Dude you are super overstocked. You need a HUGE tank for goldies. And the kuhli loaches need a tank with a much larfger footprint. I am not judging bro just so you know. I am just trying to help. You should have seen my first tank.... yikes!

Back
Top Bottom