55 Gallon Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McLumpy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my 55 gallon freshwater tank. It needs a few more plants in back to hide the air hoses, and maybe some driftwood... but it's pretty much complete.

Current Residents:
(1) Pleco
(1) Red Tail Shark
(1) Clown Loach
(3) Gold Dust Mollies
(1) Orange Molly
(4) Neon Tetras
(1) Dwarf Gourami

Future Residents:
(2) Clown Loaches
(3) Neon Tetras
(1) Dwarf Gourami

Attachments

• AA-Aq001.jpg
    AA-Aq001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,441
Some pics of my fishies...

Sadly, I didn't get a pic of my Clown Loach, (he was asleep in "his" house). :(

Attachments

• AA-Aq002.jpg
    AA-Aq002.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,861
  • AA-Aq003.jpg
    AA-Aq003.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,646
  • AA-Aq004.jpg
    AA-Aq004.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,623
  • AA-Aq005.jpg
    AA-Aq005.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,659
More pics...

Attachments

• AA-Aq006.jpg
    AA-Aq006.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,431
  • AA-Aq007.jpg
    AA-Aq007.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,328
  • AA-Aq008.jpg
    AA-Aq008.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,305
  • AA-Aq009.jpg
    AA-Aq009.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,311
Great tank you have there. Nice looking fish as well, especially your red tail. I wish I could have my own. Keep up the good work and please post updated pictures when you add fish, decor, etc.

Thanks! :D

I will definitely add more pics, (especially since I need to get a pic of my Clown Loach).

Oh and update on my missing Neon... found him today when I was doing a pwc. Apparently he got stuck in between the house and one of the flat stones. I guess I had it a little too close to the house and it didn't give him enough room to pass through. He was badly decomposed, but I could tell it was him. You will see in the pics that I relocated the stones. :( Lesson learned.

Oh that's really sad news, but at least now you know what really happened to him and you made the necessary changes to prevent it from happening again.

Hopefully your Loach decides to pose for the camera soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

:D Here are a few pics of my Clown Loach...

Attachments

• AA-Aq010.jpg
    AA-Aq010.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • AA-Aq011.jpg
    AA-Aq011.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,166
Thanks! :D Yeah, definitely my favorite, (and IMO best looking), fish in the tank!

I don't know the exact measurements, but if I had to guess... the Loach is around 1.5 inches and the Shark is around 2.5 inches.

My Loach and Pleco are the only ones in the tank that don't get chased by my Shark during feedings. He's naturally aggressive, but after the mysterious death of my Bala recently, it has gotten a lot worse. :( I'm pretty convinced that my Bala died due to him constantly chasing him.

Are you sure you want a Shark? :lol:

Sorry to hear about the death of your Bala. I hope he stops being aggressive soon, but I believe they get more aggressive with age and according to your measurements he's still young.

Yes, I still want one even if I have to keep him alone...

Yeah, I miss my Bala. :( She was a hoot to watch, but the 2 Sharks never really got along. The RT was way too aggressive, but I think there was more to the Bala's death... come to find out, I get to battle an Ich outbreak. :(

Last night I stopped by the LFS to p/u a few things to lower my Nitrate level and something told me to grab Ich Attack. Low and behold, I get home and my Pleco had white spots, (along w/ a few of my Neons). This could be why my Bala died, (although she showed no signs of Ich), and why my RT Shark is acting more aggressive than usual.

I don't normally suspect Ich unless I see the white spots or more than 1 of my fish are flashing against objects. I noticed my RT Shark was doing this a few days ago, but now a few others are doing it and my Pleco is refusing to hardly move, much less try to eat. UGH!!

I think I caught it early though. Hopefully I'll have the same success as I've had w/ treating my last 2 outbreaks. Last night, after doing a pwc and treating the water to lower the Nitrate level, I started treatment w/ the Ich Attack. Within 30 min's or so all of this fish were active, (including the Pleco).

Ugh ich =( By the way, our red tail randomly flashes against things that her pissing her off...you probably know this already about RT sharks but just in case you didn't I thought I'd let you know. For the longest time we thought she was still sick after we bought her and were quarantining her forever, but turns out she just really hates our gold gourami. He so doesn't get what she's doing when she flashes on him.

Good luck with your tank! It looks beautiful btw =)

I sure am glad you caught it on time. Seeing how your fish became active I'd say the treatment is working. Good luck and I'm sure you'll pull through this one.

The whole ich situation would explain your Bala's death and your Red Tail's increased aggression. Hopefully once you completely control the ich you'll see less aggression from him.

Good thing you listened to whatever told you to buy the ich medicine. That has saved you big time.

Ugh ich =( By the way, our red tail randomly flashes against things that her pissing her off...you probably know this already about RT sharks but just in case you didn't I thought I'd let you know. For the longest time we thought she was still sick after we bought her and were quarantining her forever, but turns out she just really hates our gold gourami. He so doesn't get what she's doing when she flashes on him.

Good luck with your tank! It looks beautiful btw =)

Yeah, I found out about the 'pissed off' flashing stuff shortly after we got the RT. I thought the same thing thinking that he was sick. Nope, just an angry shark. lol

Thank you for the compliment on my tank! I can't take all the credit though, the guy that owned it before us included the majority of the decor. My husband also picked out the gravel and a few other things. This is actually our 2nd tank that we've had together. We had a RT in our other one too, but I don't recall that one flashing as much as this one.

I sure am glad you caught it on time. Seeing how your fish became active I'd say the treatment is working. Good luck and I'm sure you'll pull through this one.

The whole ich situation would explain your Bala's death and your Red Tail's increased aggression. Hopefully once you completely control the ich you'll see less aggression from him.

Good thing you listened to whatever told you to buy the ich medicine. That has saved you big time.

That makes two of us! I try to keep an eye on how the fish are acting and I knew something was up when their activity slowed, (especially w/ my pleco). I just figured it had something to do w/ the high Nitrate levels. But then I saw the white spots on my Pleco when he finally came out of his hiding place.

When I got home from work today, the fish were acting a little sluggish, but they had their appetites. The Pleco, however, was perched beneath the front porch of the house, (that's where he rests the majority of the time), and he hasn't moved much. He's the only one I'm really worried about at this point. :(

I don't know what made me p/u the Ich Attack. At the time I didn't know about the Ich outbreak, but for some reason I just grabbed it off the shelf w/o thinking twice about it. But, like you said, it was a good thing I got it. (y)

I'm so sorry about your Pleco. I'm really rooting for him to get well soon. Keep us updated on his progress and the rest of your little guys.

I have a rainbow shark in my tank that is about 4 1/2 inches now. I do remember when we first got him he went on a little killing spree. He killed the other rainbow shark and a red eye tetra. My friend told me he needed more space to hide. I put this little cheesy pirate ship in there and he hides in there all the time. No casualties since.

i have an albino rainbow shark almost 5 inches now, he used to chase everything but ive seen his agression go away with age.. hmm

I'm so sorry about your Pleco. I'm really rooting for him to get well soon. Keep us updated on his progress and the rest of your little guys.

It's not looking good for my Pleco. :( He did come out of the house last night and was darting around the tank. I coated one of his algae wafers w/ medicated flake food and put it near him and it was gone this morning. I can only hope that he ate it.

When I got home from work, he was hiding beneath the roof of the house again. The others are still somewhat active and are eating up the medicated flakes. However, the flashing has me worried that this could be a real serious case of Ich. I've never seen it this bad.

I appreciate your concern for my poor fishies. I'll keep you posted.

I have a rainbow shark in my tank that is about 4 1/2 inches now. I do remember when we first got him he went on a little killing spree. He killed the other rainbow shark and a red eye tetra. My friend told me he needed more space to hide. I put this little cheesy pirate ship in there and he hides in there all the time. No casualties since.

I thought that, along w/ RT Sharks, Rainbow Sharks shouldn't be in a tank w/ their own kind? Guess that explains the loss of your fishies. Sorry to hear about that btw. :(

Sharks are beautiful, but when you're only limited to having one in your tank, it takes away the fun of owning them. According to many compatibility charts, Bala and RT Sharks were shown as being compatible. But, in my case, I think my Bala was really sick and the RT turned on her.

i have an albino rainbow shark almost 5 inches now, he used to chase everything but ive seen his agression go away with age.. hmm

That's great to hear! Hopefully you didn't lose any fish when he was having his anger issues. I can honestly say that I've never seen an Albino Rainbow Shark. Do you have any pics?

That's so sad to hear... I really do hope he ate the medicine flakes. Have you considered a quarantine tank for your Pleco since he's the one that seems in worst shape? It might help a lot. Maybe raising the temp will help if you haven't done so yet.

Good luck to you and your fish.

That's great to hear! Hopefully you didn't lose any fish when he was having his anger issues. I can honestly say that I've never seen an Albino Rainbow Shark. Do you have any pics?

here is a picture of mine, dont mind the ugly tank it was in the midst of being completely re-done

Back
Top Bottom