55g and 65g hex redo and swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Operation: Redo - 55g & 65g hex rescape

Figured I would make a thread to show what I'm doing with my two main tanks, and to help me keep track of things. Standard 55g and a 65g hexagon.

The 55g is currently housing my African cichlids, and the 65g hexagon is housing a Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, black Convict, tinfoil barb and two pictus catfish.

Obviously the hex tank isn't the greatest for a SA/CA tank, as it doesn't offer a lot of lateral swim space. Its 24" flat panel to flat panel, and 28" corner to corner. So this thread is based around me switching my Africans to the hex, and the "big boys" to the 55 and redecorating each tank.

Both tanks are ugly as sin, but due to being a stay at home dad with tight funds, I can't justify blowing extra money on decor. We purchased the 55 used many months ago. Money was even tighter then compared to now, and we simply reused the atrocious blue gravel it had in it. This is the first thing to go, as I cannot stand it any longer.

So here's the game plan.

-Switch the inhabitants of each tank.
-Substrate swap in the 55
-Rescape each tank

Here's the new substrate. 50lbs of Black Diamond blasting grit. This is the 20/40 (medium) grit. Purchased at my local Tractor Suppy Co. for $9.63 including tax.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431026671.259303.jpg

Rinsing bucket by bucket
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431026772.036005.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Done for the day. I was hoping my kids would be a little more forgiving when they came in from school, but no such luck. Reached a good stopping point for the day.

Really happy with how the 55 looks already and I haven't done anything I'm wanting to do it yet.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431040332.890204.jpg

Didn't get anything done to the hex tank except get the sa/ca out and the Africans in. Forgive me on how it looks, I know it appears a train wreck
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431040407.507089.jpg

The 55 now houses:
Jack Dempsey
Green Terror
Black Convict
1x large Tinfoil Barb
2x Pictus catfish

The 65g hexagon houses:
2x Yellow tail Acei
2x Yellow Labs
2x Ngara white tail Acei (my babies)
2x Bumblebees
2x OB Peacocks
Sunrise Peacock
Demasoni
Venustus
Striped Raphael catfish
And a lone Tiger Barb who takes no sh!t from anyone.

Holy mismatched stocks batman!

Lol, no offense Hensley. I know your a great keeper doing all you can. That tiger barb will be worse for wear one day, but I'm sure you're aware. The 55 will be sweet.

Keep it up, awesome tanks! I always look forward to any cichlid updates

Thanks bud. The little tiger barb was in the 55 when we bought it, along with the big tinfoil and a 6 inch Oscar. LFS took the Oscar, but no one wants a 5"+ tinfoil barb or single tiger barb. The little tiger honestly never gets picked on, but is regularly seen chasing some of the cichlids. Quite comical really.

You could make the hex really coo, with rock work and wood and the such. The hanging ledge looks cool, I'd cover up the pipes and add rocks to the top. Overall it seems like you have a good plan!

The ledge was a failed attempt at adding more hiding spaces/territory when the sa/ca fish were in it. The convict would beat the snot out of my green terror. Here's the inspiration behind the hexagon and what I'm going to attempt to replicate, except with added rocks and slate ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431051211.170500.jpg

Not mine. I do have a aulonocara jacobfreibergi though. He's not in there at the moment though

No no no. It's not MY picture or fish. it's one I found online. I agree it looks like a peacock

Couple of pics of my JD and GT this morning. Tried to get one of my Convict too but he was sleeping in a gap between the rock and driftwood. Bums me out that the GT's growth rate is so slow. It might be a hair over 2" right now. They're one of my top 3 favorite cichlids.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431090185.002717.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431090220.058383.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431090235.323103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom