55g Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steez

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Oscar tank.

Sorry for the pics, only have a camera phone available.

I have a medium sized Tiger oscar, common plec and bichir eel.

I've been asking around and trying to figure out my situation for the Pleco, because if he gets too big he will outgrow my tank. But I still want a cleaner type that will be ok with my oscar.

Good looking fish! That pleco will get way to big for the tank so I would start looking for a new home now. I would just get some mystery snails to keep the algae down.

Snails here are like 5$ a pop, and I know my oscar is just going to mess them up when I put them in, he is so curious about EVERYTHING.

A couple of snails will most likely end up being cheaper if your Oscar ends up liking to mess with plecos. I would try a bristlenose or rubberlip if you are set on plecos.

I really like pleco's a lot, I think I just made a mistake buying a common. I'll see if my LFS has any bristles that are big enough to accompany my oscar.

The oscar does snap at the pleco, but he's smart and he is very fast, he jolts through plants and such that the oscar can't. The oscar never really chases, and has never actually injured the pleco for the two months he has been in the tank. I put in the hollow tree and the cave in the back, as well as all the smaller plants for a reason. To give the eel and pleco cover and places to hide when O is feeling mean.

Surprisingly enough...he and the eel get along extremely well, for now

EDIT: I just looked at rubberlip plecos, it says they only grow to about 10", that might be a good choice to replace my common with.

What type of bichir?

It would be a good idea to look for a larger tank. Oscars can be over 12" if cared for properly, too large for a 55. But it is great for now.

He's a Dinosaur Bichir Eel.

Yeah I'm hoping he won't get to a full 12-13". I've been told it's ok for one oscar, then told it's not, then told it is... I'm just gonna let it play out. If I have to, I will get a bigger tank in the future.

The problem is that SOO many people cram them in 55s that we don't get to see many over about 12". So to someone who has always crammed them in 55s and stunted their fish, never seeing one over 12", it is fine. But if you have ever seen one reach its full potential you will see why they are stunted in 55s. They can hit 15-18", with reports of them hitting 20-22". It is a self-fulfilling prophecy to say they won't need anything larger than a 55.

Haha dude that eel is sweet, and are you getting a bigger tank? Because then id keep the pleco and wait for the bigger if its in the near future

A single Oscar with no other fish can be kept in a 55 it just takes allot of work to keep water conditions with in the acceptable levels, however this is far from an ideal set up. A 75-95 would be the more acceptable long term choice for a single adult.

Well once you've been misinformed multiple times, and spent the investment into the current tank, it's hard to change for some people. I don't have an unlimited amount of money to dump into a new setup right now, or space in my apartment. My LFS will take my Pleco from me, but I'll replace him with a smaller one hopefully. EDIT: meaning a different type of pleco, not just a younger common

If my Oscar gets stunted at 9 or 10 inches I'd think he'd be fine in my tank. I understand that they adapt to the tank size, I'd love to have a 100+ gallon tank for him. :(

Stunting doesn't just limit size, it causes severe health problems long term that leads to them dying at six years old instead of 20.

All of this information keeps making me second guess what I'm doing.

He's totally fine as he is RIGHT NOW, but like you guys say, he will be stunted in this tank. My setup has been a great starter tank for him, but maybe it would be best to find him a new home?

It's really hard, I know they don't get attached to you like a dog or cat would, but he's a really awesome fish and my girlfriend would probably be upset to see him go.

You could just upgrade the tank. A 75 would be fine. That would need to happen by the time he is about 10".

Back
Top Bottom