62 gallon build thread and tank showcase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartmyed9

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I do these build threads with most of the vehicles I build so I thought why not with my current non car related project; a 62 gallon cichlid tank. First off I acquired this tank off Craigslist

ForumRunner_20111127_103202.jpg
Tank came with everything you see here. Which included a good 50 lbs of blue and tan rocks, tetra 200 watt heater, solid wood stand that I stained a cherry wood color, topfin 60 filter and 40 watt 36" aquarium florescent light.

ForumRunner_20111127_103525.jpg

Bought this little guy, pretty sure its a male from my lfs for $7.99 about 4 days after I got my tank. I know about the nitrification process btw, I used seeded media from my 55 gallon and seeded water and filter from a established 55 gallon.

I then decided from opinions and facts I gathered from Google, my lfs and this forum that I should use sand. So I got some play sand I've used on my 55 gallon before. Rinsed and cleaned it thouroughly and had my johanni in a bucket of tank water while the sand settled so I made a trip down to the lake. About a quarter mile from the house

ForumRunner_20111127_104046.jpg
I found a few rocks but it was late and I didn't have a flashligth so I didn't find much.

So today I went back to the lake in the daytime to look for better rocks and maybe a piece of driftwood. Found them cleaned, and scrubbed the rocks and driftwood well and placed them in the tank. Not sure now what kind of cichlids I'm getting but I guess that'll all depend on my finances in the coming weeks. I'm planning on trying to get a eheim 2217 in the next few weeks. So I want that before I get more to maintain my water qaulity. Anyways here's a pic of the tank as it sits now.

ForumRunner_20111127_144914.jpg

ForumRunner_20111127_145020.jpg

Two more new additions to my tank. Two beautiful looking jewel cichlids.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111205_123522.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111205_123522.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 173
is that a kribensis in the first post? Tank looks superb! I wish there were ponds nearby NYC so I can get some free rocks/drift wood.

Cornstar said:
is that a kribensis in the first post? Tank looks superb! I wish there were ponds nearby NYC so I can get some free rocks/drift wood.

I believe he's a blue johanni but I'm not sure and have been wrong before but when I bought him from my lfs I was warned on his meaness. He has so far lived up to that although he becomes friendly to all but the fresh new comers

Setup now is as follows
1 male kenyi
1 female zebra
1 male johanni
2 unknown possibly female jewels
1 cae

I was warned how mean the kenyi can be on this forum but to be honest the johanni is defiantly the meanest

New question about my tank. I love the look of the green terror. Would he be compatible somewhat with my current stock?

Redid my tank. Got some rocks from the local lake and a piece of driftwood. Also added a new tank mate since my last post, a female (hopefully) Kenyi.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111217_124328.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111217_124328.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 126
  • ForumRunner_20111217_124404.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111217_124404.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 122
Added yet another Kenyi in my tank. Hopefully a female so that puts me at 2-1 on my female - male ratio on the kenyi. One or two more kenyi and I will build my female stock of jewels and johanni. Also thinking of doing a 3d background or flipping the blue around in favor of black background. Definitely going to add more rocks to make the stack higher. Also planning on adding some anubias or some other wide leaved plant that they might leave alone. I've got enough anachris in my tank and there constantly eating on the anachris. Well I think its mostly the zebra that does it. I think I'm giving him away or try to trade him. Just don't fit my plans anymore and don't want to get too overstocked. Opinions?

New question about my tank. I love the look of the green terror. Would he be compatible somewhat with my current stock?
It's generally not a good idea to mix African cichlids (which is what you have) with American (New World) cichlids. Africans prefer hard water and Americans tend to like softer water, with the exception of a few Central American species. Even the Jewels (river species) are kinda iffy with the Mbuna (lake dwellers) in terms of water conditions and even aggression levels.
If that wasn't enough to discourage you then there's the eventual (a couple of years for some) American size to take into account. Your size tank is only good for a single Green Terror by itself and you have 6 other fish to think of. Some specimens of these guys can reach almost a foot in length!
American cichlids are known for being VERY aggressive in tight quarters and they don't call this particular American a "terror" for nothing!

I figured that. I did some research into it and am just going to go with Africans. My current plans are a group of females and male kenyi and the same combo of johanni. Not sure if I'm going to stay with the jewels or maybe get some labs of some kind. I want as much color and personality as possible that's why I know I'm keeping the kenyi. Such an awesome fish.

Also reworked my tank today. Flipped the background around and added more rocks.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111221_181039.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_181039.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 114
don't want to get too overstocked. Opinions?

Here's my worthless advice since I don't have Africans and never have...only New World cichlids. I've researched the heck out of the setups necessary for Mbuna though. I've even started converting one of my existing 75s over to them. From everything I've been told, read on this forum, in books, online, etc. the whole idea behind Mbunas is to overstock them to control aggression and reduce damage and deaths from fighting. Just do a little research before running off and getting new fish and you'll see what you need to do to successfully keep these guys. There are several post on this forum about the care of African cichlids and even have stocking suggestions that have 20 or more fish in them. We all want you to have as few deaths and torn fins as possible here. Also if you're feeding them anything other than something specifically designed for Mbuna please stop. Research a condition called "Malawi Bloat" and also realize that the Jewels are omnivores while the rest of your fish are herbivores so feeding the Jewels what they need could cause the death of the rest of your stock.

I feed hikari gold cichlid pellets like some members on the cichlid forums do. I also have live plants that they nibble from time to time. The only aggression I've seen so far is from the kenyi and trust me I've read and watched enough videos and books to kill a horse. Surprisingly enough overstocking is just one way to control aggression. Another way is the method I'm using, which is the 3 females to one male ratio. I've also added tons more rock caves as well.

Tank update: I've added another female kenyi to my tank so it puts me at 3-1 on the ratio of those. I've also added a Anubis plant near the front. I got some Seachem flourish for Christmas, the big container of it too! Also got some onion bulb and two other plants in one of those top fin bulb packs. Have them wrapped in a paper towel to root them and then planning on planting them somewhere toward the rear of the tank. Need to go down to the lake and find me some more rocks. Also got a water changer for Christmas just have to get the adaptor for my sinks. I'm very happy with my group of kenyi but other than them I'm nit sure what else to get in my tank. Fish or plant wise does anyone have suggestions?

some updated pics. Wanting to do a 3d background, rehome the jewels possibly and get a 3-1 group for my male johanni

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111228_145304.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111228_145304.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20111228_145351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111228_145351.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20111228_145427.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111228_145427.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 94
  • ForumRunner_20111228_145445.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111228_145445.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 90
Added two new fish. A female melochronis arutus and a large probably male red zebra. Him and my red jewel immediately got into a fight. They've calmed now so hopefully there going to get along.

Back
Top Bottom