72 Gallon Bowfront Progression FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iadubber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I've been on here for a couple months reading. I have my first tank setup. Here's the progression over the past two months.

72 Gallon Bow with matching stand
Pool Filter Sand (PFS)
FluVal 405
Hydor 300w inline
Freshwater
1 T8 6700k bulb
custom DIY moonlights

Stock List:
7 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Platies
4 Cardinal Tetras (will be 7-8 this weekend. I had lost 5 of the original nine a couple weeks ago)
3 Peppered Cories (adding 2 more)
1 Ghost Shrimp
1 Dwarf Gourami
Hoping to add 5-6 boeseman's rainbows this weekend

Going for medium planting

Current Plant List: with some root tabs in the PFS
Rotala
Java Fern
Jungle Val
Amazon Sword
Anubias Nana

Currently looking to up the light output to a dual T5 108w setup

Here it is in our dining room:

IMG_0286 by iadubber, on Flickr

Cycling:

IMG_0292 by iadubber, on Flickr

Custom Moonlights: 5 LEDs with a switch in the hood

IMG_0343 by iadubber, on Flickr

Adding black background with the spray oil method

IMG_0372 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_0597 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_0594 by iadubber, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharwick/6406043729/

IMG_0582 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_0581 by iadubber, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharwick/6406002157/

Looks Great!

Awesome! Very nice tank! Looks very clean and I love the LED moon light. Is that a custom job or a feature of a store LED set? I was thinking about getting an LED set-up just have to convince the wife to let me drop another $100-150..

Ahh... Never mind, just saw your pic title of custom LED...:oops:

Last edited:
Awesome! Very nice tank! Looks very clean and I love the LED moon light. Is that a custom job or a feature of a store LED set? I was thinking about getting an LED set-up just have to convince the wife to let me drop another $100-150..

Ahh... Never mind, just saw your pic title of custom LED...:oops:

It is a DIY by me. I had 5 LEDs laying around and a power supply from an old computer router. All I bought was the switch from RadioShack.

Added a couple bunches of anacharis today and 5 boeseman rainbows.

Beautiful tank, how long you have been running the tank? The sand looks super clean...

My tank has also PFS, I experienced a little diatoms when I started to add root tablets, some of he sand turned brown, but last like 2 months and then started ti disappear already....

Nice tank, the driftwood will definitely make it look more natural, you can look for a branch type... You can also attach some plants to it, many options!

looks great. what kind of rock is that?

I'm actually not sure. I got it on ebay from an aquarium rock seller. He had it titled tiger stripe aquarium rock. I love it.

Beautiful tank, how long you have been running the tank? The sand looks super clean...

Two months.

My tank has also PFS, I experienced a little diatoms when I started to add root tablets, some of he sand turned brown, but last like 2 months and then started ti disappear already....

I haven't seen that yet.

Nice tank, the driftwood will definitely make it look more natural, you can look for a branch type... You can also attach some plants to it, many options!

I have a small driftwood in there now with two java ferns attached. I need one with some height to it.

replied in blue above.

Beautiful tank and fish! You have an amazing camera too!

Thanks! I really loved the PFS at the start. Now I kind of hate it. Shows every little piece of plant and poop on it even right after vacuuming it. I might switch to black sand. The white makes it nearly impossible to photograph fish that are near the bottom from the reflecting light causing a halo effect.

I shoot with a Canon 5D and a multitude of lenses.

Well I am retiring this tank from freshwater and making it a FOWLR tank. I am getting a 55 gallon tomorrow to move all this stock to.

What kind of filter? It is the only thing I haven't purchased yet as I'm getting a 72 gallon bow next week - pine/oak but the same tank for sure.

I'm doing rock base though. I was thinking of doing natural plants in pots - any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom