75 Gallon cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mogurako said:
The tank does indeed look good but you have allot of incompatible fish in there. First off as you know are the convicts, NW/SA/CA cichlids should never be mixed do to different dietary, water parameter needs and levels of aggressions.

As for you Africans, Haps, Mbuna and peacocks shouldn't be mixed because each requires a different set up, dietary needs and has different aggression levels. I would rehome the EBH and then decide if you want Mbuna or peacocks. If going for Mbuna pick 3 different species/ ones that the females do not look the same and get to be around the same size and have the same aggression levels. Then stock to a 1 male to 4 female ratio, rehoming any hyper aggressive males as you come across them. You will end up with 15-20, that would be a good number for that tank.

My tank has been running for over a year. I have had no problem yet, I feed different foods to satisfy everyone.
15 fish is not enough. When I was at 15 fish I had a fair amount of aggression, research showed that overstocking helps quell aggression. . Now that I have 25 fish I have no aggression problems since.
Thanks for your posts.

AquaKai said:
I know basicly nothing on African Cichlids, but your fish look amazing and that is one beautiful and clean tank!

Thanks. I am glad you like it. 

WendiDell said:
For the 75g she can get 4 different males and 4 ea of the females. 20 Mbunas in that tank would be very happy.
But your are right about the Convicts, Haps and Peacocks needing a different home. Which could be another tank in your home or in someone elses home.

I have had no problems. Everyone gets along GREAT. 

I have had no problems. Everyone gets along GREAT. 

You are correct about overstocking with Cichlids, it does help cut down on aggression. Which is kind of backwards if you think about it.
I mean Cichlids are territorial, right? But then they're happier if there are to many of them in the tank. It doesn't make sense to me but, overstocking does make them less aggressive.

You know, your mixed of fish are not suppose to work, but if it is working, don't mess with it. Peace isn't easy to come by with Malawi Cichlids. Just keep a very close eye out for any signs of stress. Hopefully if any problems do arise, the signs will show before any of the fish get sick or die. And you can get them out of there before anything bad happens. But it shows that you do pay attention to your tank, you should be fine.
For now just enjoy your beautiful and clean ( I'm OCD about clean)tank, and your beautiful mixed Cichlids:).

What size tank is this anyways?

Edit: I feel stupid. I just read the name of the threat!

WendiDell said:
You are correct about overstocking with Cichlids, it does help cut down on aggression. Which is kind of backwards if you think about it.
I mean Cichlids are territorial, right? But then they're happier if there are to many of them in the tank. It doesn't make sense to me but, overstocking does make them less aggressive.

You know, your mixed of fish are not suppose to work, but if it is working, don't mess with it. Peace isn't easy to come by with Malawi Cichlids. Just keep a very close eye out for any signs of stress. Hopefully if any problems do arise, the signs will show before any of the fish get sick or die. And you can get them out of there before anything bad happens. But it shows that you do pay attention to your tank, you should be fine.
For now just enjoy your beautiful and clean ( I'm OCD about clean)tank, and your beautiful mixed Cichlids:).

I have been really lucky cause I have had no sickness at all. Knock on wood .
I do run a uv sterilizer.
Thanks for the complement! 

WendiDell said:
No worries, I miss stuff like that aaalll the time, I just feel half blind.
And you did mean thread, right?

Ha yes sorry! Now I feel even more dumb

Back
Top Bottom